A computer spike or data spike was an electronic device that, when connected to a computer, allowed a user to slice into secure computer programs to access data. The spike would assault systems with garbage data to overwhelm security measures. Most computer spikes could only be used once.
They cost 1,500 credits and weighed 1 kilogram. They were usually single-use devices that contained specialized programs designed to bypass security systems and improve user access to protected systems. The spikes would interface with another computer system and chip away at the defenses in an attempt to crack the system.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games, the higher the character's Computer Use, the fewer computer spikes are required to perform an action. They can be made for free by T3-M4 aboard the Ebon Hawk.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)(retconed as Riddle Eight spike)
- Under a Black Sun
- Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- Threats of the Galaxy
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia