|Consular-class cruiser (Charger c70 retrofit)|
Advanced power generator
The Consular-class cruiser (Charger c70 retrofit), or the Republic frigate, was a model of retrofitted Consular-class cruiser that turned the ships into small frigates. Corellian Engineering Corporation created this for Supreme Chancellor Palpatine during the early part of the Clone Wars.
The Consulars were armed with five twin turbolaser cannons, each mounted on the opposing side of the center fuselage and one on the stern behind the sensor and communications array. The class also had a double laser turret on the top of the bow. The class also had a smaller sensor and communications array than on the peacetime vessels, and were staffed by clone pilots and officers. The warship also featured a modular bow pod, including the original salon pod, a command pod, or boarding pods.
The refitting-procedure was done early in the Clone Wars, when warships were still in short supply. The former diplomatic ships were converted under direct orders from Supreme Chancellor Palpatine.
Jedi General Yoda used such a frigate to reach the moon of Rugosa for a diplomatic meeting with Toydarian King Katuunko. The ship was attacked, but managed to hold off two Munificent-class star frigates long enough to fire all escape pods towards the moon, one of which contained the Jedi Master and three clone troopers.
They were also used to transfer captured Nute Gunray to the Tranquility , also used by Gunray and Asajj Ventress to escape that ship and to evacuate the crew from the Liberty during the Sky Battle of Quell. A number of these militarized Consular-class cruisers were part of a task force assigned to free captured Jedi Eeth Koth who had been captured by Confederate General Grievous. They were used to transport the Clone Youth Brigade to the Endurance also.
Another of these vessels was used to transport Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala to the planet Mon Calamari for a failed diplomatic mission. It was destroyed on orders from the Separatist commander Riff Tamson.
Following the Declaration of a New Order, few of the starships survived, with many having been mothballed or broken up. During the Galactic Civil War, the Rebel Alliance deployed several of them. They are well-liked by their crews.
- "Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season One Episode Guide, Part One"—Star Wars Insider 106
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide (First identified as Consular-class cruiser (Charger c70 retrofit))
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Water War"