- "As I am the adviser to this group and to the Empire at large, I shall take for myself the title of Counselor to the Empire, serving as an interstitial leader only until Grand Admiral Sloane returns to us."
- ―Gallius Rax, to members of the Shadow Council
Counselor to the Empire, commonly referred to as Counselor, was the title of the de facto leader of the Galactic Empire at large, established in 5 ABY, months after the downfall of the Empire at the Battle of Endor. The title was self-proclaimed by Gallius Rax, a male human from the desert planet Jakku who served as Fleet Admiral in the Imperial Navy and to whom the late Emperor Palpatine entrusted the Contingency—a plan to ensure that the Empire would not outlive Palpatine if he were to be removed from power.
Rax took this unprecedented title during a meeting of the Shadow Council, a council he envisioned to govern the shattered Empire from behind the scenes, shortly after his attack on the New Republic capital Chandrila in the year 5 ABY. Rejecting the titles of Emperor and Grand Admiral, Rax claimed that his title was expected to be temporary, and only to advise the Council until the return of Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, public figurehead of the Empire at the time. However, he was actually trying to change the nature of the Contingency to his advantage so he could eventually start a new empire of his own. During the same meeting, General Hodnar Borrum protested the idea, stating that a title not previously seen in Imperial records would leave the Empire "effectively leaderless."
Rax acted as the commanding officer of the Imperial forces, most notably during the Battle of Jakku. However, Rax was killed on Jakku by Grand Admiral Sloane, who subsequently took up Rax's plan to create a new empire in the Unknown Regions. With the Counselor's death, Grand Vizier Mas Amedda was able to represent the Empire at the signing of the Galactic Concordance, a formal peace treaty that signaled the end of the civil war and the Empire's surrender to the Republic.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Endor during the year 4 ABY. Shattered Empire, Part IV, which shows Shara Bey and Kes Dameron settling on Yavin 4, takes place three months after the Battle of Endor, and Galactic Atlas places Bey and Dameron's move to Yavin 4 in the year 5 ABY.
The novel Aftermath says that months have passed since the Battle of Endor. Aftermath: Life Debt begins two months after the end of Aftermath; therefore, the events of the former take place at least four months after the Battle of Endor. Since three months after the Battle of Endor is part of 5 ABY, as shown with Bey and Dameron's settling on Yavin 4, events of Life Debt must take place in 5 ABY at the earliest. On the other hand, the Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Jakku, as depicted in Life Debt's sequel Aftermath: Empire's End, to 5 ABY as well, leading to the conclusion that Life Debt is set in 5 ABY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Aftermath
- ↑ According to Aftermath: Life Debt are human. . "@lelalmekha Yes!", All Imperial officers seen or mentioned in