Crait was a mineral planet located in a remote, uncharted section of the galaxy. Covered with white salt over its red-colored surface, the planet once hosted a Rebel Alliance outpost during their early rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Many years later, Crait was the location of a battle between the Resistance and the First Order.
Crait was an uncharted planet in a remote corner of the galaxy, which orbited at least one star. The planet was rich in minerals—such as the white dusting of salt covering its surface, and the red-colored mineral base underneath—and hosted mines to extract these resources. The dragging stabilizer of a speeder could rip up the scorched surface into red plumes of ash.
During the early rebellion against the Empire, the Alliance to Restore the Republic had an outpost on Crait, until its abandonment prior to the Battle of Scarif in 0 BBY. Many years later, some time after the destruction of the First Order's Starkiller Base in 34 ABY, Crait was the site of a battle which involved at least several Resistance speeders against the First Order Heavy Assault Walkers.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "It's way out there. It's very remote. It's uncharted. It's a mineral planet and so there are mines on it."
- ―Rian Johnson
Crait was created and developed for Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, the upcoming eighth film in the Star Wars saga, which is scheduled for release on December 15, 2017. The planet was first mentioned in Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide, a reference guide for the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, written by Pablo Hidalgo and released on December 16, 2016.
First footage of Crait was revealed in the very first teaser trailer for The Last Jedi, which premiered during The Last Jedi panel at Celebration Orlando on April 14, 2017. The real-world location for Crait was Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat located in Bolivia. According to the film's writer and director Rian Johnson, Crait will "play a key role in the movie."
Crait will also be included in Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Disney's simulator ride theme park attraction. Anthony Daniels reprised his role as C-3PO for the new sequence, which was recorded in early May 2017. On June 10, 2017, Electronic Arts announced that Crait will also be included to the upcoming video game Star Wars Battlefront II in December 2017, coincided with the release of The Last Jedi.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First mentioned)
- Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (p. 170)
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Set: 75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker)
- ↑ THX1138 (2017-01-10). El salar de Uyuni en Bolivia habría sido utilizado para grabar escenas del Episodio VIII [Actualizado] (Spanish). Prensa Imperial. Archived from the original on April 22, 2017. Retrieved on April 22, 2017.
- ↑ Star Tours Disney Parks Panel | Star Wars Celebration 2017
- ↑ screenshot) . “Extremely thrilling! Yesterday I flew to Crait. One day soon you will be able to fly there too because the adventures continue to continue.” (
- ↑ The Galaxy Will Keep Getting Bigger Post-Launch. Electronic Arts. ea.com (2017-06-10). Archived from the original on June 11, 2017. Retrieved on June 11, 2017. "This starts with the Star Wars™: The Last Jedi™ Season coming this December, where all Star Wars Battlefront II players will get access to Finn, Captain Phasma, the new planet Crait, and more."