Crait was a mineral planet located in a remote, uncharted section of the galaxy. Covered with white salt over its red-colored surface, the planet once hosted a Rebel Alliance outpost during their early rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Many years later, Crait was the location of a battle between the Resistance soldiers and several walkers.
Crait was an uncharted planet in a remote corner of the galaxy, which orbited at least one star. The planet was rich in minerals—such as the white dusting of salt covering its surface, and the red-colored mineral base underneath—and hosted mines to extract these resources. The dragging stabilizer of a speeder could rip up the scorched surface into red plumes of ash.
During the early rebellion against the Empire, the Alliance to Restore the Republic had an outpost on Crait, until its abandonment prior to the Battle of Scarif in 0 BBY. Many years later, some time after the destruction of the First Order's Starkiller Base in 34 ABY, Crait was the site of a battle which involved several Resistance speeders against enemy walkers.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "It's way out there. It's very remote. It's uncharted. It's a mineral planet and so there are mines on it."
- ―Rian Johnson
Crait was created and developed for Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, the upcoming eighth film in the Star Wars saga, which is scheduled for release on December 15, 2017. The planet was first mentioned in Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide, a reference guide for the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, written by Pablo Hidalgo and released on December 16, 2016.
First footage of Crait was revealed in the very first teaser trailer for The Last Jedi, which premiered during The Last Jedi panel at Celebration Orlando on April 14, 2017. The real-world location for Crait was Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat located in Bolivia. According to the film's writer and director Rian Johnson, Crait will "play a key role in the movie."
Crait will also be included in Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Disney's simulator ride theme park attraction. Anthony Daniels will reprise his role as C-3PO for the new sequence, which is expected to start recording in early May 2017.
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First mentioned)
- Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (p. 170)
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ THX1138 (2017-01-10). El salar de Uyuni en Bolivia habría sido utilizado para grabar escenas del Episodio VIII [Actualizado] (Spanish). Prensa Imperial. Archived from the original on April 22, 2017. Retrieved on April 22, 2017.
- ↑ Star Tours Disney Parks Panel | Star Wars Celebration 2017