Credits, also known as galactic credits were a standardized form of currency in use throughout the Galactic Republic and later the Galactic Empire. They were considered acceptable as currency on most major planets, though on some planets in the Outer Rim Territories, such as Tatooine, some merchants considered them to be "no good," desiring something "more real" in exchange for their goods. They were sometimes referred to as "Republic credits" or Republic dataries during the time of the Galactic Republic. They became known as Imperial credits during the Age of the Empire. During the Clone Wars, the Confederacy of Independent Systems issued its own Confederacy credits. "Creds" was a colloquial term for credits. The credit symbol () resembled an Aurebesh letter R with two vertical strokes at the top.
Credits could be carried on one's person via credit chips. Credits also came in the form of credit ingots, which were often kept in vaults and transported under heavy guard. During the Age of the Empire, Arquitens-class light cruisers were often used for this task.
One such merchant that was wary of the value of credits was Watto, who refused Qui-Gon Jinn's offer of 20,000 credits in exchange for a T-14 hyperdrive generator. When Qui-Gon then attempted a mind trick on him to get him to accept the credits, he replied that he was a Toydarian and that mind tricks didn't work on him, only money.
When attempting to secure passage to Alderaan aboard the Millennium Falcon, Obi-Wan Kenobi stressed to Han Solo the importance of avoiding "Imperial entanglements." Concerned with the danger, Solo asked for a price of 10,000 credits up front. As Kenobi and Luke Skywalker didn't have much with them, Kenobi instead negotiated an upfront price of 2,000 credits with the promise of an additional 15,000 upon safe arrival at Alderaan. Solo deemed it worth the risk, as he and his partner Chewbacca were heavily in debt to Jabba the Hutt and had a bounty on them.
Following the advent of the Galactic Empire, credits from the time of the Galactic Republic eventually became mostly worthless. Credits from the Galactic Empire became increasingly worthless following the rise of the New Republic, resulting in Grand Admiral Rae Sloane paying the bounty hunter Mercurial Swift "in owed favors."
- ; image #9 (of 13)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ; image #2 (of 20)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ A New Dawn
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Idiot's Array"
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Ezra's Gamble
- ↑ Darth Vader 8: Shadows and Secrets, Part II
- ↑ "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku"
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part I