The crossguard lightsaber was an ancient lightsaber design that dated back to the Great Scourge of Malachor. It typically emitted three blades, a primary blade and two raw power vents known as quillons. The quillons were tributaries of the main blade and emitter shrouds were used on each of the lateral vents to protect the wielder's hands from harm. To create the quillons an array of focusing crystal activators were used to split the energy from the lightsaber crystal.
During the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, Ezra Bridger found a broken green-bladed crossguard lightsaber on Malachor. Kylo Ren later built his own crossguard blade, which was unstable due to usage of a cracked kyber crystal.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part I
- The Force Awakens, Part II
- The Force Awakens, Part IV
- The Force Awakens, Part V
- The Force Awakens, Part VI
- The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- ; image #6 (of 51) (First identified as crossguard lightsaber)
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 155
- Star Wars: Card Trader
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75139 Battle On Takodana)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO