- "You'd think with the pick of any of the worlds in the Unknown Regions that they'd have chosen one a bit more agreeable than this."
- ―Jacen Solo
- "Csilla is… as it always is. Beautiful and frigid. Walking the iceways, one almost forgets the Ruling Family disputes, the House Paiiri collapse… Still, it belongs to us—not one Imperial starship has touched Csillan ground."
- ―Aristocra Saganu
Csilla was a terrestrial planet in the Csilla system of the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, occupying the second orbit from the star Csilla and located at the junction of the Path of the Houses and the Vaagari Corridor. With standard gravity, a frigid climate, and a diameter of 11,080 kilometers, Csilla was orbited by three moons and had terrain featuring glaciers and caves. Due to the mineral content of the hydrosphere, glaciers on Csilla were a striking blue in color. A day on Csilla lasted 25 standard hours and a year lasted 462 local days. Chiss starships relied on a series of navigational anchor points that spread out from Csilla.
Csilla was the capital of the Chiss Ascendancy and imported resources including foodstuffs, luxury goods, and technology from other Chiss colonies. A network of underground tube transports connected its largest city, Csaplar, to every other area on the planet, including other cities buried in the ice. Cities on Csilla were kept livable by heat from the interior of the planet. Csilla was also the center of Chiss politics; their Cabinet and Parliament could be found at the House Palace in Csaplar. The Csapla Family was responsible for the distribution of resources to the populace of Csilla.
Between 27,500 BBY and 27,000 BBY, Humans reached Csilla in sleeper ships and colonized the planet. Genetic analysis indicated that these Humans developed into the Chiss, who quickly developed a global government. The need to manage Csilla's population and obtain resources without damaging their homeworld's ecosystem motivated the Chiss space program, which may have benefited from memories of the original colonization effort.
The planet entered an ice age in 5000 BBY. Glaciers covered the normally-warm equatorial regions of the planet, while solid ice locked the poles in perpetual winter. In order to survive, the Chiss built energy-efficient warrens beneath the ice, as close to the warmth of the inner planet as possible, with underground carriage travel routes to connect the various underground sections of Csilla. The iceways were bored through the bedrock of the planet, so that they were unaffected by the shifting ice found on the planet's surface.
Locked in an ice age for millennia, Csilla forced many socioeconomic and technological changes upon the Chiss, but few physical changes. Contrary to beliefs in a link between the Chiss skin color and the Csillan temperature, scientists concluded that the Chiss’ blue skin was caused by a mineral found in the Csillan hydrosphere.
During the Great Galactic War, negotiators from the Chiss Ascendancy—the Chiss' government—and diplomats of the Sith Empire met in a summit, which resulted in the Ascendancy offering resources, tax revenues, and armies to the Empire in return for its sovereignty; as part of the decision, no Imperials would enter Csilla without permission.
Csilla was inhabited by eight billion sentients and was the homeworld of the Chiss, who comprised 99% of the population. The Chiss were near-Humans whose blue skin color was partly caused by the mineral content of Csilla's hydrosphere.
Behind the scenesEdit
Csilla /ˈt͡ʃilːɒ/ is a Hungarian female given name from csillag (meaning "star").
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (DataBank) (Mentioned only)
- Outbound Flight (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Secret Missions 1: Breakout Squad (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Rebellion (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Indirect mention only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Invincible (Mentioned only)
- Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The New Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 137 (CHI2, Chiss)
- The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Chiss"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Star Wars Gamer 7
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Atlas
- The Unknown Regions
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 The Essential Atlas, p. 53
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Essential Atlas, p. 222
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 Legacy Era Campaign Guide, p. 107
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Chiss"—Star Wars Gamer 5, p. 110 "
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Chiss"—Star Wars Gamer 5, p. 108 "
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, p. xv
- ↑ The Essential Atlas, p. 221
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Chiss"—Star Wars Gamer 5, p. 109 "
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 The Essential Atlas, p. 116
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 The Unknown Regions, p. 124
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Characters