- "But when was anything ever "normal" in Cularin? We're an exceptional location, in an exceptional time. A Sith fortress, a Jedi academy, wars among smugglers, at least two different groups venerating the dark side of the Force, and your standard array of criminals and malcontents, to say nothing of the economic threats posed by those who would exploit our natural resources. There is no time for complacency."
- ―Jedi Master Lanius Qel-Bertuk
The Cularin system was a star system located on the Expansion Region border and was located just off the Corellian Run, in between Kalarba and Aridus. It was a seven-planet binary star system that contained the planets of Cularin and Almas. It became a five-planet system when the planet Oblis was destroyed by the power of the Darkstaff. This destruction also knocked Dorumaa from its orbit to eventually become a moon of Almas.
The Cularin system was visited by Darth Rivan during the New Sith Wars, leading to the creation of the Almas Sith fortress. The Jedi eventually drove the Sith Lord out of the system, logged the system's name in a Republic database, and Cularin was forgotten.
Though the Cularin system was in a well explored sector of space, and was close to a major hyperspace route, it remained undiscovered due to the gravity anomalies there. The dense cores of three of the planets created very large gravity reflections, which sometimes overlapped. Also, the cloud of comets in the seventh orbit created its own astrogation difficulties. It was best to revert from hyperspace outside of the comet cloud and make the calculations for entering the system after getting current readings on the behavior of the comets. Even this was not considered safe by most traders, who chose instead to come into the system by sublight, passing on the increased cost of operation to their customers through higher prices.
A scout named Reidi Artom rediscovered the Cularin system in 232 BBY, and conducted the first real exploration of the system. Others followed her, and settlements were built on most of the system's bodies. Due to the relative isolation of the system, crime rates were high: The local asteroid belt became a refuge for pirates and later for crimelords such as Riboga the Hutt and his successor Nirama.
The Cularin system joined the Galactic Republic around 32 BBY, and immediately asked for military protection against the pirates; however, the Thaereian military forces proved inefficient in ending the pirate attacks, and the Thaereian military proved to only blockade the system.
Shortly thereafter, the entire system disappeared from the galaxy for almost a decade, reappearing during the Clone Wars. The inhabitants of the system experienced no passage of time during this disappearance. Towards the end of the Clone Wars, Senator Lavina Durada-Vashne Wren declared Cularin to be a sovereign system, aligned neither with the Republic nor the Confederacy of Independent Systems. She was subsequently arrested by clone troopers on charges of treason, and the system was occupied by Republic military forces. The organization Cularin Licensing and Regulatory Bureau was known to operate in this system during that time.
- Tempest Feud (Mentioned only)
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- A Cularin Presence
- The Resistance Within
- A Revelation (First appearance)
- Price of Business
- Head in the Clouds
- Clouded Paths
- Into the Storm Clouds
- Blown Away
- Republic Commando: True Colors
- Star Wars 11
- Millennium Falcon (Mentioned only)
- Living Force Campaign Guide
- Echoes of the Jedi
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Atlas
- Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 Living Force Campaign Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ There are conflicting sources as to the system's region. The Living Force Campaign Guide places it in the Mid Rim, while the Wizards of the Coast website places it in the Expansion Region. The website also states it is between Kalarba and Aridus, one of which is in each of the aforementioned regions. As such, it is likely the Cularin system is in the border.
- ↑ A Cularin Presence