Cynabar's Infonet, known colloquially as the Big CYN, was a news broadcast founded by a mysterious smuggler known only as "Cynabar". The aim of the service was to make smugglers and traders aware of business opportunities and the activities of the Galactic Empire. It also followed the exploits of prominent smugglers, and being mentioned in Cynabar's Infonet was a sign that a smuggler had risen to above average notability.
Access to Cynabar's Infonet was very exclusive and costly, and was only made available by invitation. Smugglers interested in access to the service needed to either distinguish themselves well enough to be recognized by local dealers, or else tap contacts in the so-called "old being network" to obtain it.
Cynabar's Infonet was remarkably well informed. For example, at a time when most military personnel in the Empire were unaware of Mitth'raw'nuruodo's secret promotion to Grand Admiral, Cynabar was not only aware of this fact, but reported on the Grand Admiral's movements between the Outer Rim Territories and the Core Worlds.
TriNebulon News reporter Andor Javin claimed that Cynabar was notorious Brentaalan smuggler Platt Okeefe. However, Javin's journalistic methodology was far from meticulous, and thus the identification of Cynabar as Okeefe is uncertain.
Privateers associated to the Alliance to Restore the Republic captured Moff Aricos Dreleene and his ship, the supposed-L19a freighter First Edition. Dreleene confessed that the First Edition was really a counterfeit made after a less-exclusive L19 freighter. The Alliance then uploaded his confession to Cynabar's Infonet. When the Empire discovered that Dreleene had tried to outwit them in parties, they decided to not attempt to rescue Dreleene, instead revoking his Moffship.
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 11
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- Stock Ships
- Platt's Starport Guide
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett