- "Admiral Hacklin's expecting you two—and no one else. I told him to wait for you at an old asteroid mining facility."
- ―General Var Suthra
An asteroid mining facility in the Unknown Regions once conducted a thriving ore-processing industry, but Czerka Corporation withdrew funding and support of the facility sometime before the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. The facility, which was built into an asteroid, was abandoned until the year 3643 BBY, when the Sith Valis attempted to capture the Jedi Padawan Kira Carsen at the facility and was defeated by Carsen and her Master.
- "The mining facility's abandoned, and well off standard hyperspace routes. It's the safest place we could find for the admiral."
- ―General Var Suthra
Located in the Unknown Regions on the far northern edge of the galactic disk, the mining facility was located in an asteroid field well off standard hyperspace routes and was itself built into an asteroid. The black spherical main section of the space station hung from the "bottom" of the asteroid, with pipes extending into the asteroid and securing the station to its surface, and a tower extended from the bottom of the main section down away from the asteroid. The facility also continued through the interior of the asteroid all the way to its other side, where several communications antennas and towers were built. The facility had at least one hangar bay, and during its era of productivity, it processed ore from the surrounding asteroids.
- "The mining facility is small. If this is a trap, you won't be facing more enemies than you can handle."
- ―General Var Suthra
Czerka Corporation established the mining facility sometime before the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire in order to harvest ore from the asteroid field. The facility hosted a thriving ore-processing industry, but as the station's profits began to decline, Czerka ultimately withdrew its funding, and the facility was abandoned by the year 3643 BBY. That year, the Sith Emperor sought to retrieve Kira Carsen, a former Child of the Emperor—individuals who were unknowingly agents of the Emperor—so he sent the Child Valis to capture her. As Carsen and her current Jedi mentor were working to stop the Sith Lord Darth Angral's efforts to destroy the Republic, Valis posed as Angral's loyal subordinate Admiral Hacklin of the Imperial Navy and contacted the Republic's General Var Suthra with an offer to defect.
Having spread rumors that the admiral had earned a death mark, "Hacklin" refused to surrender to anyone other than Carsen, whom the real Hacklin had met earlier at the planet Ord Mantell, so Suthra arranged a meeting at the abandoned mining facility. Carsen and the Jedi Knight to whom she was apprenticed arrived after Valis to find the station's hangar empty except for one ship with a single light above the boarding ramp, and as the two Jedi approached the ship, Valis emerged from behind some of the cargo crates scattered around the hangar. The Sith introduced himself and explained the Emperor's intentions, but when the Knight refused to comply, the meeting turned hostile. In the duel that followed, the two Jedi overcame Valis and killed him, leaving the Sith's body and ship in the facility as they returned to the Republic and notified both General Suthra and the Jedi High Council of what had happened.
Behind the scenesEdit
The mining facility first appeared in the Jedi Knight-class mission "The Defector" in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare and LucasArts in 2011. The facility's history is expanded upon briefly in the game's galaxy map when the facility is selected for travel.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Defector" on Czerka Facility
- ↑ Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.