|DSS-02 shield generator|
| Usage and history
- "Com-scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."
- ―General Maximilian Veers
- "Their primary target will be the power generators."
- ―General Carlist Rieekan
A DSS-02 shield generator was produced by Kuat Drive Yards.[source?] The Galactic Empire used a generator to protect a supply hub on the Jade Moon. The Rebel Alliance's Rogue Squadron destroyed it to raid the hub. The Empire also used one to protect prisons on Kessel. The Rebels were able to raid the prisons after the generator was disabled. The Weapons Research Facility on Fest was also destroyed by Rogue Squadron after its DSS-2 generator was destroyed.
One such generator was used by the Rebel Alliance to protect a portion of the ice-planet Hoth during the Battle of Hoth. This generator was powered by the base's main reactors, which were stolen from a derelict Praetor-class battlecruiser.
The shield was strong enough to withstand bombardment from an Executor-class Star Dreadnought and a flotilla of Imperial-class Star Destroyers. It was largely because of this as well as Admiral Ozzel's tactical blunder that the Empire was forced to land on the planet and do a ground battle against the Rebels.
In addition, because of the shield generator's strategic importance to the Rebels, the area surrounding it was also heavily fortified with troops, turrets, troop centers, mech factories, heavy weapons factories, and others.
Behind the scenesEdit
The DSS-02 shield generator first appeared in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. The advanced blaster upgrade may be found in the remains of the Rebel shield generator in the 2001 video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.
Besides its appearance in the "Battlefield Hoth" mission of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, the DSS-02 shield generator, or at least a similar shield generator in appearance, appeared in the mission "Defenders of Ralltiir" that was created by Ralltiir scientists sympathetic to the Rebel Alliance, which also acted as the only thing preventing the Imperials from capturing them immediately. According to the audio commentary, they reused the design for the DSS-02 shield generator from Rogue Leader for the mission in Rebel Strike.
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Force Commander
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- "Galactic Bazaar: The Empire Sells Out!"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 4 (Picture only)
- "The Hard, Cold Facts About Hoth"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 4 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Limited Collector's Edition
- "The Ice World Cometh"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 10 (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- "Special (FX)tions"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 6 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 138 (SHI6, Deflector Shields)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Card Game – The Search for Skywalker (Card: Echo Base Shield Generator)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: General Veers) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Illustrated: The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Destroying the Probe) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Illustrated: The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Captain Piett's Plan) (Picture only) (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Illustrated: The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Rogue Leader) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Illustrated: The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Echo Base Invasion) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Illustrated: The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Snowtrooper Invasion)