Two horny bumps on beak
Dactillions shared both avian and lizard traits, with long, thin wings and thick, scaled hides. A dactillion's pair of wings allowed it to ride the thermal updrafts in a Utapau sinkhole, and its prominent limbs allowed it to scale the rocky side.
The stubby Utai served as wranglers for both dactillions and varactyl dragonmounts, keeping them in corrals in Pau City and elsewhere. Dactillions served as hardy war mounts for Pau'an warriors during the Battle of Utapau. When food supplies within a sinkhole are low or a dactillion is seeking a mate, they will fly to the surface.
The Utapauans learned about the weather patterns on their world by studying the dactillion population. They found that the species would fly out of sinkholes when the winds were low, so that is when it was safest for the people to build upon the surface of their planet.
Behind the scenesEdit
The dactillions were first envisioned as a Jedi mount on the world of Utapau. As the Episode III story was still developing, the concept model of the dactillion had Ki-Adi-Mundi riding the beast, even though he was not to feature on the planet.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Star Wars Miniatures: Bounty Hunters
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 11