Dark Tide I: Onslaught, the first book of the Dark Tide Duology, is a novel by Michael A. Stackpole, published by Del Rey in 2000. The galactic maps printed inside were designed by Daniel Wallace and Chris Barbieri. Narration for the audio version was provided by Anthony Heald.
- ISBN 0345428544; February 1, 2000, Del Rey, 292-page paperback
- ISBN 0375409564; February 1, 2000, Random House Audio, 2 abridged cassettes (3 hrs.)
- ISBN unknown; June 2003, Ballantine Books, eBook
- ISBN 0345479319; September 7, 2004, Del Rey, 304-page paperback
- ISBN 0739316591; October 12, 2004, Random House Audio, Abridged cassette
- ISBN 0099409933; 2000, Arrow, 292-Page UK paperback.
- ISBN 2265071692; March 22, 2001, Fleuve Noir, 320-page French paperback (Le Nouvel Ordre Jedi: La Marée des Ténèbres I: Assaut).
- German (Das Erbe der Jedi-Ritter 2: Die Schwarze Flut).
- ISBN 8372453918; Amber, 304-page Polish paperback (Nowa era Jedi: Mroczny przypływ I: Szturm).
- ISBN unknown, 2004, 480-page Russian book (Темный прилив I: Натиск).
- ISBN 8495070359; March 21, 2003, Alberto Santos Editor, 236-page Spanish (Mexico) paperback (La Nueva Orden Jedi: Marea Oscura I: Ofensiva).
- ISBN 8495070367; September 1, 2003, Agualarga Editores S L, Spanish (Spain) paperback (La Nueva Orden Jedi Marea Oscura I: Ofensiva).
- ISBN 9788025208465; 2008, EGMONT ČR, 234-page Czech paperback (Nový řád Jedi: Temný příliv I: Útok).
With unsurpassed action and imagination, New York Times bestselling author Michael A. Stackpole continues The New Jedi Order with DARK TIDE I: ONSLAUGHT, testing the heroes of the past along with the next generation of Jedi against fearsome enemies from beyond the galactic rim.…
It is a perilous time for the New Republic. Just when unity is needed most, mistrust is on the rise. Even the Jedi feel the strain, as rogue elements rebel against Luke Skywalker's leadership. When alien invaders known as the Yuuzhan Vong strike without warning, the New Republic is thrown on the defensive.
Luke must wield all the awesome powers of a Jedi Master to defeat the gravest threat since Emperor Palpatine. As Leia Organa Solo and Gavin Darklighter lead desperate refugees in a fighting retreat from Yuuzhan Vong forces, Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi apprentices Jacen and Anakin Solo, and Jedi Knight Corran Horn find themselves tested as never before by a faceless, implacable foe determined to smother the light of the New Republic forever beneath a shroud of darkest evil.…
The alien Yuuzhan Vong haved appeared throughout the Outer Rim, attacking different sectors mercilessly. Lando Calrissian's planet of Dubrillion is attacked and taken over. Luke Skywalker decides to deal with the Yuuzhan Vong's aggressiveness by mobilizing a select few Jedi for various reconnaissance missions. Luke and Jacen Solo go to Belkadan, Corran Horn and the arrogant Ganner Rhysode are sent to the planet Bimmiel to recover a group of missing scientists, and Anakin Solo accompanies Mara Jade Skywalker to Dantooine for the sake of Mara's rapidly deteriorating health.
Luke and Jacen soon find the ExGal facility on Belkadan littered with the carnage of machinery, before discovering a Yuuzhan Vong outpost utilizing slaves as a means to grow their bioequipment. Corran and Ganner also find the group of scientists along with a Yuuzhan Vong outpost (also harboring slaves) whose inhabitants are searching for the remains of a Yuuzhan Vong that died and was recovered by the group of scientists. All the while on Dantooine, Mara is teaching young Anakin ways of the Force previously unknown to the youth. Jacen follows a vision he has, engages in and loses a battle to a Vong warrior on Belkadan, and is taken prisoner and placed in the Embrace of Pain prior to Luke's rescuing him. The two Jedi, sensing trouble on Dantooine, depart the planet. Their foresight serves them well, as they arrive just in time to rescue Anakin and Mara from Yuuzhan Vong warriors who have discovered them on the planet and are hunting the two.
The Yuuzhan Vong, chasing refugees fleeing from the destruction on Dubrillion, arrive in force to the planet. The resulting "onslaught" sees the slaughter of hundreds of the Vong's primary slave invasion force, along with a New Republic victory, though is costly because they lose half of their refugees during the battle.
On Bimmiel, Corran and Ganner attempt to rescue two captured scientists. Ganner escapes with the two, leaving Corran to narrowly defeat the two Yuuzhan Vong warriors that appear; Ganner is forced to rescue the dying Corran, who then survives. Shedao Shai, a male Yuuzhan Vong commander, is later notified of the killing of his kinsmen, Neira and Dranae and the stealing of his ancestor's remains. Shai, overcome by vengeance, vows that he will taste the blood of the Jeedai (Vong mispronounciation of Jedi) responsible.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Behind the scenesEdit
- Onslaught lists Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo as Jedi Knights in its Dramatis Personae. However, Jaina and Jacen are not Knighted until later in the series with Destiny's Way, and other parts of the book show them to be apprentices. It could have simply been referring to all Jedi as Jedi Knights, however, they were, as well as their friends all promoted to apprentice Jedi Knights at the end of Young Jedi Knights. Anakin, meanwhile, would not live to be Knighted like his siblings in Destiny's Way on account of his death in Star by Star.
- Kyp Durron is stated to be 32 years old, whereas he actually turned 30 this year.
- This is the first New Jedi Order not to feature Nom Anor, although he is mentioned.
- Jacen Solo's vision would later be retconned to be a foreshadowing of the actions he would take in the novel Traitor.
This is a gallery of the different cover variations of Dark Tide I: Onslaught.
Notes and referencesEdit