- "Too bad we don't have a Dark Jedi handy we could kill. Remember that big blast when C'baoth died?"
- ―Mara Jade
A burst of dark side energy occasionally occurred when a powerful Sith or Dark Jedi was killed. The resulting shockwave was sometimes very powerful, other times it was a simple dissolving of physical matter.
Shortly after Palpatine won the chancellorship, Darth Plagueis released such a phenomenon upon being electrocuted by Palpatine after the latter fed him enough wine to make him lose consciousness. The burst was powerful enough to send ripples throughout the Force, strong enough to be felt throughout Coruscant.
In the year 3 BBY, Shaak Ti released a similar burst after deliberately falling into the Ancient Abyss upon losing her duel to Galen Marek. Shortly thereafter, Marek apparently released a dark side burst when he sacrificed himself in his battle against Darth Sidious, although his body was left behind. Six years later, Sidious released a massive surge of blue dark side energy after being thrown down a reactor core shaft aboard the second Death Star. Later on the planet Ruusan, Jerec's body dissipated after he was killed by Kyle Katarn. In 8 ABY the Nightsister Ocheron gave off a burst of dark energy after being beheaded by Luke. One year later, at 9 ABY, Joruus C'baoth also released a blast of energy after being killed by Mara Jade with Skywalker's lightsaber, blowing a gaping hole in the side of Mount Tantiss.
Behind the scenesEdit
Darth Traya appears to release a dark side burst in the video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, when the Exile throws her off of Trayus Core into a bottomless pit. However, this only occurs in the dark side ending of the game and is therefore not a canonical event.
Even though the Jedi Master Shaak Ti was in no way a practitioner of the Dark Side, the manner in which she died in the Sarlacc pit was noticeably similar to the dark side burst, possibly implying that it happens due to the power level of the force user and not due to force alignment.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- The Force Unleashed novel
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi junior novel
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- The Courtship of Princess Leia
- The Last Command
- I, Jedi
- Vision of the Future (Mentioned only)