- "I didn't know Mandalorians developed a type of lightsaber."
"We didn't, this was one of a kind. Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order. After his passing, the Jedi kept the saber in their temple. That was until members of House Vizsla snuck in and liberated it. They used the saber to unify the people and strike down those who would have opposed them. One time, they ruled all of Mandalore wielding this blade."
- ―Kanan Jarrus and Fenn Rau
The darksaber was an ancient and unique black-bladed lightsaber created by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order, prior to 1032 BBY. The weapon was kept in the Jedi Temple after Vizsla's passing, but members of House Vizsla stole the saber in a conflict with the Jedi during the fall of the Old Republic. The darksaber was passed down, generation to generation, by the ancestors of Pre Vizsla, who held onto the weapon even after the pacifist ideals of the New Mandalorians replaced the warrior ways of Mandalore. The last known Mandalorian to own the blade was Pre Vizsla, the leader of Death Watch during the Clone Wars. He used the blade during his conflicts with the New Mandalorians, including his successful coup of Mandalore. After the coup, Darth Maul killed Vizsla and took the darksaber as his own, becoming the leader of Death Watch. Maul's old master, Darth Sidious, soon arrived on Mandalore to confront his former apprentice, and Maul used the darksaber against him. Maul was bested in combat and taken prisoner to the Separatist prison, the Spire, on Stygeon Prime.
Maul was soon rescued from the Spire at the behest of Prime Minister Almec, whom Maul had chosen as the public leader of Mandalore. After being freed, Maul returned to Zanbar, the location of a Death Watch camp, and was given back the darksaber, which had been recovered from the Sundari Royal Palace, the site of Maul's duel with Sidious. Shortly after his return, Zanbar was attacked by the Separatist Droid Army, led by General Grievous, and Maul made use of the darksaber against the cyborg general. Maul continued to use the darksaber in several subsequent battles, such as the battle of Ord Mantell, the assault on Vizsla Keep 09, and the second battle of Dathomir.
In the days of the Old Republic, the darksaber was kept at the Jedi Temple after the passing of its creator Tarre Vizsla— the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order. However, it was taken by Mandalorians of House Vizsla who raided the Jedi Temple during the Old Republic's fall in 1032 BBY. Descendants of House Vizsla used it to kill many Jedi and rule all of Mandalore for many years.
- "This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them!"
- ―Pre Vizsla, to Obi-Wan Kenobi
During the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan Kenobi of the Jedi High Council discovered Death Watch's camp near the planet's mines. Using the darksaber, Vizsla fought Kenobi as his troops evacuated. Despite his skill in melee combat, Vizsla was unable to defeat Kenobi or prevent his escape with Duchess Satine Kryze.
Following Vizsla's fallout with the Separatists and Count Dooku, Vizsla and his fellow Death Watch troops made camp on Carlac. After the arrival of Senator Lux Bonteri, Vizsla used the darksaber to kill Chieftain Pieter's granddaughter as his men destroyed the Ming Po's town. Vizsla then attempted to execute Bonteri's friend, Padawan Ahsoka Tano with his darksaber. However, Tano was able to free herself with her droid, R2-D2's help. She then dueled Vizsla until she slashed his jetpack and she and Bonteri made their escape.
Following the discovery of former Sith Lord Darth Maul and his brother Savage Opress near their camp on Zanbar, Vizsla agreed to an alliance between Death Watch and Maul's Shadow Collective. Vizsla used the darksaber on Nal Hutta against the Hutt Clans' Grand Council's Nikto guards. Vizsla led to the Council's leader, Jabba, to agree to join their alliance.
On Mandalore, following the Shadow Collective's attacks on the police in Sundari, Vizsla and his Death Watch troopers stepped in to "protect" the Collective's forces. Vizsla personally used his darksaber in a staged duel against Opress and then arrested him. Thanks to his efforts, Vizsla and his Death Watch were then hailed as heroes.
Vizsla then betrayed Maul and Opress and had them imprisoned. After their escape Maul then challenged Vizsla for leadership of Death Watch. Vizsla then used the darksaber against Maul. Despite his use of his armor's numerous weapons, Vizsla was disarmed, defeated and summarily executed by Maul with the darksaber. Maul then claimed the darksaber and leadership of Death Watch much to the chagrin of Vizsla's lieutenant, Nite Owl Bo-Katan Kryze, who refused to follow the non-Mandalorian.
After Maul lured Kenobi back to Mandalore, Maul used the darksaber to kill Duchess Satine in front of Kenobi as part of his revenge against the Jedi Master. After Kenobi made his escape thanks to Bo-Katan, Maul and Opress were then confronted by Maul's former master, Darth Sidious. Together, Maul and Opress fought Sidious. After Opress was killed, Maul attempted to continue fighting, but was unable to defeat his former master. The darksaber was then tossed aside by Sidious as he subdued Maul with Force lightning.
Prime Minister Almec and the Mandalorian super commandos then recovered the darksaber following Maul's capture by Sidious. Maul then used the darksaber against Confederate General Grievous's forces and MagnaGuards when they came to Zanbar. Maul then fought Grievous until his forces were forced to retreat.
Maul again used the saber when he boarded Grievous's dreadnought and used the darksaber to keep him in check during the attack on Ord Mantell. Maul then threatened to kill Dooku with the darksaber as a means of revenge against Sidious. However, Maul freed Dooku and the two used their weapons against Kenobi's, Mace Windu's, Aayla Secura's and Tiplee's forces as they boarded the asteroid outpost. He used the darksaber against Secura and Windu whilst Dooku killed Tiplee.
After Maul returned to Dathomir to help Mother Talzin regain her physical form, Maul was then confronted by Sidious and Grievous at the Nightbrothers' village. He, along with Talzin possessing Dooku, fought Sidious and Grievous. Maul used the darksaber in the battle until he tossed Grievous aside.
Age of the EmpireEdit
- "Is that a lightsaber?"
"Indeed, yes, but not like any you would know. If your Mandalorian friend was here, she could explain it to you."
- ―Ezra Bridger and Maul on the Darksaber
The darksaber was still on Dathomir during the age of the Galactic Empire, kept by Maul in the Nightsister lair. Sabine Wren used it against Ezra Bridger while she was possessed by a Nightsister spirit. Bridger used his lightsaber and the darksaber to destroy the altar from which the spirits rose. Wren then picked up the darksaber as she, Bridger and Kanan Jarrus left the planet. Upon their return from Dathomir, Wren gave the lightsaber to Jarrus for safekeeping.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- Star Wars Rebels – "Visions and Voices"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber"
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Visions and Voices"