- "This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them!"
- ―Pre Vizsla to Obi-Wan Kenobi
The darksaber was an ancient, black-bladed lightsaber. The weapon once belonged to the Jedi Order, but was stolen by the Mandalorians in a conflict with the Jedi during the fall of the Old Republic. The Darksaber was passed down, generation to generation, by the ancestors of Pre Vizsla, who held onto the weapon even after the pacifist ideals of the New Mandalorians replaced the warrior ways of Mandalore. The last known Mandalorian to own the blade was Pre Vizsla, the leader of Death Watch during the Clone Wars. He used the blade during his conflicts with the New Mandalorians, including his successful coup of Mandalore. After the coup, Darth Maul killed Vizsla and took the darksaber as his own, becoming the leader of Death Watch. Maul's old master, Darth Sidious, soon arrived on Mandalore to confront his former apprentice, and Maul utilized the darksaber against him. Maul was bested in combat, however, and taken prisoner to the Separatist prison, the Spire, on Stygeon Prime.
Maul was soon rescued from the Spire at the behest of Prime Minister Almec, whom Maul had chosen as the public leader of Mandalore. After being freed, Maul returned to Zanbar, the location of a Death Watch camp, and was given back the darksaber, which had been recovered from the Sundari Royal Palace, the site of Maul's duel with Sidious. Shortly after his return, Zanbar was attacked by the Separatist Droid Army, led by General Grievous, and Maul made use of the darksaber against the cyborg general. Maul continued to use in the darksaber in several subsequent battles, such as the battle of Ord Mantell, the assault on the Mandalorian asteroid outpost, and the second battle of Dathomir.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir
- Star Wars Rebels Season Three
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four