|Chronological and political information|
- "There is no passion…there is solely obsession.
There is no knowledge. There is solely conviction.
There is no purpose. There is solely will.
There is nothing…
- ―The creed of Ruin
New Sith WarEdit
An intelligent and charismatic renegade Jedi Master, Phanius was known for the disturbing tone of his philosophy, which included elements of moral relativism and solipsism, similar in certain aspects to the much later Potentium sect.
Phanius abandoned his oath and left the Order to pursue prohibited teachings, becoming one of the first of what would eventually become known as the Lost Twenty. He secretly united the numerous Sith clans, possibly left over from the Old Sith Wars or Emperor Vitiate's Sith Empire, and founded a new Sith Empire. In an event known as the Fourth Great Schism, fifty Jedi Knights soon followed him and pledged themselves to him, his new Sith Order and to the dark side of the Force.
The newly rechristened Darth Ruin and his followers initiated the New Sith Wars against the Jedi and the Galactic Republic, but Ruin's Sith Order quickly disintegrated. Ruin's single-mindedness and ambitions led to hatred and betrayal by his followers, who later killed him.
In 40 ABY after the formation of the New Jedi Order, information about Darth Ruin was found and compiled by Chief Librarian Tionne Solusar. Bodo Baas' spirit shed little light on the history of Ruin.
Behind the scenesEdit
The character of Darth Ruin was created by George Lucas as part of the backstory for the prequel trilogy. In Lucas's notes, Ruin is an unnamed Jedi Knight who fell to the dark side with fifty followers 2,000 years prior to the film saga, founding the Sith. Since the Sith have been well established in other C-canon works for thousands of years, this "foundation" was degraded to be only a schism, after three previous ones. All other information on him was created by Abel G. Peña.
According to Peña, due to the Jedi placing Phanius in the Lost Twenty, they probably did not know his identity of Darth Ruin. When naming him, Peña also considered the names Reaper, Fatalis, Necro, Mortalis, Eradicus, Execute, and Solipsis. He also considered giving him a number of "Sithly" professions such as necromancer, sorcerer, warlock, and archmage.
- Knight Errant (Mentioned only)
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two (Possible appearance) (Bust)
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novel (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Chronology
- Vader: The Ultimate Guide (First identified as Darth Ruin)
- "Heritage of the Sith"—Star Wars Insider 88
- Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition Core Rulebook
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars Annual 2009 (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.27
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded