- "Uh, the navicomputer is heading us right into the moon!"
- ―A B1 battle droid, shortly before the Malevolence's destruction
The Dead Moon of Antar was one of two uninhabitable moons of Antar, a gas giant located in the Prindaar system of the galaxy's Inner Rim. Colonized by the Gotals of Antar 4 before their discovery by the Galactic Republic, the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence collided with the barren moon during the Clone Wars, which resulted in the Separatist starship's destruction.
The Dead Moon of Antar was a barren, terrestrial moon. It was one of two uninhabitable moons that orbited Antar, a gas giant located in the Prindaar system, within the Slice region of the galaxy's Inner Rim. Sometimes, the Dead Moon of Antar and its sister moon illuminated Antar 4's nights.
Because of its proximity to the Dead Moon of Antar and its sisters, Antar 4's indigenous Gotal population was relatively proficient in the complexities of space travel, establishing colonies on four of the five planetoids, including the Dead Moon of Antar, and mining Antar 5 even before their discovery by the marauding explorers of the Galactic Republic sometime between the years 25,000 BBY and 22,000 BBY. In the 22 BBY, the first year of the Clone Wars, Jedi General Anakin Skywalker boarded the Malevolence during the Battle of the Kaliida Nebula and sabotaged its navigation computer, destroying the Separatist Subjugator-class heavy cruiser when it activated its hyperdrive while on a collision course with the dead moon.
The mighty starship laid in scattered pieces on Antar's barren moon. However, some of the Malevolence's crew survived its destruction and searched for a way of the Dead Moon of Antar before the Jedi could finish them off. The panicking droids were able to construct an escape pod and flee Republic forces.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The idea being that we haven't seen a ship smash into a planet at the speed of light or in hyperspace, so this was the opportunity to show it, and what better ship than the Malevolence?"
- ―Henry Gilroy, on the Dead Moon of Antar's role in the Malevolence's destruction
The Dead Moon of Antar was first mentioned, albeit indirectly, in Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, a Star Wars Legends supplement written by Troy Denning for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and released on June 1, 1989. It first appeared, albeit unidentified, in "Destroy Malevolence," the fourth episode of the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' first season, which originally aired on October 17, 2008. The dead moon was first identified as a "dead moon of Antar" in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, a three-volume reference book edited by Bob Vitas and released on December 9, 2008.
The Essential Atlas, a reference book written by Jason Fry and Daniel Wallace and released on August 18, 2009, placed the Antar system, and therefore the Dead Moon of Antar, in grid square N-12.
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (First identified as Dead Moon of Antar)
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races (First mentioned, albeit indirectly)
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, Second Edtion (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons (Indirect mention only)
- (As "dead moon")
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "dead moon of Antar")
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One
- Galaxy of Intrigue (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide (As "Dead Moon Of Antar" and "Antar Moon")
- (As "dead moon")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Antar system —Based on corresponding data for
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 According to Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, Second Edtion, Gotals established colonies on four of Antar 4's five sister moons and mined Antar 5. Thus, it can be assumed that a Gotal colony was established on the Dead Moon of Antar.
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, Second Edtion
- ↑ According to The Essential Atlas, Antar became a part of the Galactic Republic sometime between the years 25,000 BBY and 22,000 BBY. As Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, Second Edtion established that Gotals had colonized four of Antar 4's five sister moons and mined Antar 5 before their discovery by the Galactic Republic, it can be assumed that these event occurred sometime before or between 25,000 BBY and 22,000 BBY.
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 24 (22 BBY 87–88, The Malevolence Campaign)
- ↑ Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 280 ("Malevolence (I)")
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia