The Death Star's shield generator was an Imperial military installation on Endor during the Galactic Civil War. The facility housed the generator that powered the SLD-26 planetary shield generator protecting the Death Star II, which was being constructed in orbit of the forest moon. The base was guarded by a garrison of stormtroopers, scout troopers, Imperial fleet troopers and other Imperial officers, along with a complement of AT-ST's and AT-AT's. It was under the command of Colonel Dyer, with Commander Igar and Major Hewex offering support.
During the Battle of Endor, a Rebel strike team led by General Han Solo infiltrated the bunker that housed the Imperial shield facility and destroyed it. This lowered the shields on the orbiting Death Star, allowing the Alliance Fleet to destroy the battle station.
Early in the Galactic Civil War, the Galactic Empire's deep space mobile battle station known as the Death Star was destroyed by the Rebel Alliance during the Battle of Yavin. After its destruction, the Empire set out to build a second Death Star, one far larger and more powerful than its planet-destroying predecessor. They constructed the weapon in orbit of the forest moon of Endor and constructed a shield generator facility to protect the Death Star II from attacks on the site of an Ewok village they destroyed. Shortly before the Battle of Endor, however, the Emperor, Darth Sidious, allowed the Rebel Alliance to learn of Death Star II's location. The information was stolen by Bothan spies, many of whom died to retrieve the information, and Sidious intended to use the information to lure the Rebellion into a trap over Endor where the Alliance could be destroyed.
Once the information was secure, the Rebel Alliance put a plan in place to destroy the shield generator and launch a space-based attack on the Death Star II. General Han Solo led a landing party on Endor that included Princess Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO, and a number of Rebel troopers. On Endor, the group joined forces with the native Ewoks, who went on to assist the Rebels in their march towards the shield generator. Upon finding how heavily guarded the main entrance was, the Rebels were shown the alternate entrance, which was guarded by only a few Imperial soldiers. Paploo, one of the Ewoks, stole an Imperial speeder bike to distract most of the guards, leaving only one for the Rebels to capture.
With the entrance secure, the Rebels entered the base with the intention of setting charges to destroy it. They quickly found that it was a trap, however, and were captured by Imperial forces—a large contingent of which was waiting outside. The Ewoks attacked the troopers and launched the ground portion of the Battle of Endor, and the Rebels joined in the fight against Imperial forces. The Imperial forces were defeated and the Rebel team destroyed the shield generator, allowing the Alliance Fleet to destroy the Death Star II in orbit.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Forces of Destiny: The Leia Chronicles (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Ewok Escape"
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire (Appears in hologram)
- Shattered Empire, Part I
- Aftermath (Appears in flashback(s))
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- (First identified as Death Star's shield generator)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Force Collection