- "We are the Death Watch, descendants of the true warrior faith all Mandalorians once knew."
- ―Pre Vizsla
The Death Watch was a Mandalorian splinter group that opposed the pacifist government of Mandalore, led by Duchess Satine Kryze, during the Clone Wars. After failed attempts at taking over Mandalore, they became part of Darth Maul's Shadow Collective, which successfully took control of Mandalore during the war.
Following the end of the Mandalorian Civil War, the Mandalorian warriors were exiled to the moon of Concordia, where most of the warriors died out. However, the survivors regrouped and began calling themselves the Death Watch. They were then led in secret by Concordia's governor, Pre Vizsla of Clan Vizsla, and Duchess Satine Kryze's sister, Bo-Katan.
During the Clone Wars, Vizsla and Death Watch allied with Sith Lord and Separatist leader Count Dooku in order to take over Mandalore from Duchess Satine and her New Mandalorian government. Vizsla, as governor of Concordia, pretended to support Satine and root out Death Watch. During this time, one of their saboteurs attacked a Republic cruiser. The saboteur then took his own life. Rumors were also spreading around, saying that Kryze was building an army to fight for the Confederacy.
When the Jedi Council sent Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to ascertain the truth, Vizsla contacted Dooku about the Jedi. Dooku, however assured him that if the Republic occupied Mandalore, the people would rebel and rally to Death Watch. Death Watch then sent a bomber to Sundari's memorial shrine to bomb it. The bomber was then discovered by Kenobi, who attempted to capture him. However, the bomber then jumped to his death to avoid to capture.
When Kenobi and Kryze traveled to Concordia to deliver the bomber's body, Kenobi secretly went to investigate the mines if they were active. When he investigated the inside of one, Kenobi was then captured. However, he was then rescued by Kryze. They then discovered that Vizsla was the leader of the Death Watch, and were able to escape.
Another member, Kalevala Senator Tal Merrik, secretly brought a crate full of Assassin probes aboard the Coronet to kill Kryze en route to Coruscant. However, Kenobi, Skywalker, and their troops discovered Merrik's duplicity. Merrik then took Kryze hostage and contacted Vizsla for reinforcements. He also rigged the Coronets engines to blow. Merrik then attempted to board one of the Droch-class boarding ships with Kryze. However, Kryze and Kenobi stopped him. Merrik was then killed by Anakin Skywalker.
Death Watch then orchestrated a bombing on Kalevala that killed Deputy Minister Jerec. Dooku and his master, Darth Sidious, then altered a recording of Jerec and delivered it to the Republic Senate in order to force them to occupy Mandalore. During this time, Vizsla prepared his men to fight. He also sent an assassin to kill Kryze. However, the assassin failed and Death Watch was ordered to stand down.
Death Watch then broke its ties with the Confederacy, following a fight between Vizsla and Dooku. They set up a new camp on Carlac. There, they forced the women of a nearby Ming Po village to work for them. They then used Senator Lux Bonteri to find and kill Dooku. However, when Bonteri returned, Vizsla was then confronted by the Ming Po elders, who demanded that the Death Watch return their women. At first, Vizsla and his men complied, but he double-crossed the Ming Po, murdering the chieftain's granddaughter right in front of him. He and his men then burned down their village. They then discovered Bonteri's friend, Ahsoka Tano, was a Jedi. Vizsla then attempted to kill Tano, but both she and Bonteri escaped.
Death Watch later came across an escape pod with two Zabraks; former Sith Lord Darth Maul and his brother, the Nightbrother Savage Opress. They were then taken to their base on Zanbar. Together, they created the Shadow Collective to control the criminal underworld as well as the Council of Neutral Systems. After forming an alliance with Black Sun, the Pykes, and the Hutts, Death Watch was able to take control of Mandalore by capturing their allies posing as criminals. After declaring himself Mand'alor, Vizsla then double crossed Maul and Opress by imprisoning them. They quickly freed themselves, and Maul then challenged Vizsla for his title. Maul was successful, and most of the Death Watch members accepted the duel's outcome. However, Bo-Katan and her Nite Owls refused to accept Maul and led a resistance against him.
Age of the EmpireEdit
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Academy" (mentioned only in writing)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber" (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Indirect mention only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- ↑ 11.0 11.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 (Slide 8)