Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "We, the members of the Rebel Alliance, formally announce our intention to restore the glory of the Old Republic… to create a New Republic. Where Palpatine failed to serve his people, we intend to restore the freedoms he so casually dismissed. The Alliance of Free Planets, freely offers membership to any world that wishes to throw off the Empire's yoke and take up the struggle to end the nightmare of the New Order."
- ―The Declaration of the Alliance of Free Planets
The Declaration of the Alliance of Free Planets was the founding document of the Alliance of Free Planets, the short-lived successor to the Alliance to Restore the Republic. The Declaration was issued as a result of the First Conference of Free Peoples, which was held within the first days of Emperor Palpatine's death at the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY. The declaration opened with a statement on the subject of Palpatine's death and his transgressions against the people of the galaxy, and followed with a formal announcement of the Rebel Alliance's intention to form a New Republic.
The rest of the declaration consisted primarily of five pledges:
- Military Action: The Alliance of Free Planets would refrain from military actions in or near civilian areas, though battle stations and garrisons would continue to be viable military targets.
- Equality Among Species: The Alliance of Free Planets would welcome any individual, regardless of species, who wished to join the alliance.
- Social Responsibility: The Alliance of Free Planets sought to restore the principles of the Galactic Republic, and thus intended to restore free expression among its citizens, media, and arts.
- Tolerance: The Alliance of Free Planets would not tolerate any further attempts by the Galactic Empire to conquer or otherwise destroy planetary civilizations, and would meet such efforts with military force.
- Morality: The Alliance of Free Planets hoped to create a more open society and a government accountable to its citizens' will.
Nine individuals were the primary signatories of the Declaration: Mon Mothma of Chandrila, Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, Kerrithrarr of Kashyyyk, Doman Beruss of Corellia, Jenssar SoBilles of Duro, Borsk Fey'lya of Kothlis, Verrinnefra B'thog Indriummsegh of Elom, Admiral Gial Ackbar of Mon Calamari, and Sian Tevv of Sullust. The Declaration and the Alliance were intended only as an interim phase between the Rebel Alliance and the functional government of New Republic, and the Alliance served to organize worlds that were petitioning for inclusion in the New Republic. The Declaration of a New Republic followed four weeks after the Declaration of the Alliance of Free Planets.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Alliance of Free Planets")
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Declaration of a New Republic")