- "Sorry, Artoo, but I've never jumped into the Deep Core before. It's crowded in there and things move fast and this isn't a well-established route yet, so I think an abundance of caution is warranted."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to R2-D2
The Deep Core, sometimes referred to as the Core of the Galaxy, was a brightly lit region of the galaxy that lay at its very heart. A densely packed mass of stars and planets, the Deep Core was dangerous to navigate and largely left alone by galactic explorers. At its center existed an ancient, supermassive black hole that bound the galaxy together.
By the sixth year of Emperor Sheev Palpatine's reign, the Galactic Empire controlled a part of that region referred to as the Deep Core Security Zone. Kren Blista-Vanee, a member of Palpatine's Imperial Ruling Council, had been instrumental to the creation of hyperspace routes into the star systems of the Deep Core.
Following the Battle of Yavin, Luke Skywalker and Nakari Kelen traveled to the Deep Core moon of Fex to investigate a biological research ship belonging to Kelen Biolabs that had suddenly gone silent.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the game Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, the Deep Core is referred to as the Core of the Galaxy. The game describes it as a mysterious place in the center of the galaxy, where a challenge awaited for those who ventured there.
- Tarkin (First mentioned)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (First appearance)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Jedi Challenges
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files