The Delta-7 Aethersprite-class light interceptor, also known as the Delta-7 Jedi starfighter or Delta-7 Jedi Interceptor, and commonly referred to as the Jedi starfighter, was a starfighter model designed by Kuat Systems Engineering and used by the Jedi Order before and during the Clone War. The variant Delta-7B Aethersprite-class light interceptor was also used by the Jedi during the Clone Wars. The Delta-7 would also be used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic in their early campaigns against the Galactic Empire.
Manufactured by Kuat Systems Engineering, the Delta-7 Aethersprite-class light interceptor was a Jedi-used starfighter that saw extensive action during the last years of the Galactic Republic, and was designed specifically with the Jedi in mind. The Delta-7's designers worked with the Jedi Order to create a starfighter with fewer internal systems than other starships, and focused on making the controls as responsive as possible due to the Jedi's Force-sensitive capabilities. An elite transport, it could accommodate a single pilot and an integrated astromech droid, as unlike later starfighter models, the wings were too thin for a full astromech socket. Instead, a modified astromech was hardwired into a socket on the vessel's wing, with its dome remaining intact but its components plugged directly into the ships computer. The droid therefore, would play an important part in assisting the pilot with navigation, damage control, and hyperspace travel coordinates.
Unlike most ships in the galaxy, the Delta-7 Jedi starfighter did not feature a built-in hyperdrive, but instead relied on external hyperspace transport rings that attached to the starship, allowing it to enter the trans-dimensional realm. Despite this, the ship could still attain speeds of 1,260 kph in realspace, and was painted red, the color which represented the diplomatic immunity the Jedi enjoyed.
The Delta-7 entered service with the Jedi Order as early as 32 BBY. Qui-Gon Jinn operated a Delta-7, as did his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi. Yoda operated his own customized version, and flew it on a mission to the Vagadarr system.
In 22 BBY, Kenobi flew his interceptor on a mission to Kamino, during which he discovered the existence of a clone army being produced without the approval of the Galactic Senate. The bounty hunter Jango Fett served as the cloning template, and was also a suspect in a plot to assassinate Padmé Amidala. The Jedi High Council ordered Kenobi to apprehend Fett and bring him to Coruscant for interrogation. Fett evaded arrest, but Kenobi managed to follow him to Geonosis.
Once Fett became aware of Kenobi's presence, the two engaged in a drawn-out dogfight over Geonosis, during which Kenobi jettisoned his starfighter's spare parts canisters to feign his own death. Kenobi eventually made his way to the surface of the planet, but was arrested by the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmé Amidala attempted to stage a rescue, but were also apprehended and sentenced to death in the Petranaki arena. A Jedi assault team deployed to rescue the trio, but were severely depleted and on the verge of defeat when Yoda arrived with the Grand Army of the Republic. The ensuing Battle of Geonosis resulted in the end of the Separatist Crisis and the beginning of the Clone War.
- Star Wars 26: Yoda's Secret War, Part I
- Star Wars 27: Yoda's Secret War, Part II
- Star Wars 30: Yoda's Secret War, Part V
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Kanan 2: The Last Padawan, Part II: Flight (Vision to Caleb Dume)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 4: The Chosen One, Part IV
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 7: The Dying Light, Part I
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 8: The Dying Light, Part II
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Appears as a toy)
- Poe Dameron 23: Legend Found, Part IV
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- (First identified as Jedi starfighter)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Star Pilot
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- (as "Jedi starfighter")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars: A-Wing Deluxe Book and 3D Wood Model
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars 26: Yoda's Secret War, Part I
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith