- "I came from the old school of special effects. Prior to Star Wars, everything was based around what you could do with your idea for a shot—you could not get the money to build anything too complex. The reason for that is simple. People were not making sci-fi movies much before Star Wars."
- ―Dennis Muren
Muren was born in Glendale, California to Elmer Ernest Muren and Charline Louise (née Clayton). He attended Pasadena City College and California State University. During his studies, Muren made a short science fiction movie named Equinox, which was later distributed by Tonylyn Productions, a small film company. Shortly after getting his associate degree in business, Muren was hired at ILM in 1976 to work on George Lucas's upcoming film, Star Wars.
Muren won six Academy Awards for Best Visual Effects for E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Innerspace, The Abyss, Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Jurassic Park, as well as two Special Achievement Awards for Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- "Star News"—Star Wars Insider 45
- "The Magic of Muren"—Star Wars Insider 104
- "My Star Wars"—Star Wars Insider 137
- "Dennis Muren: Effects Visionary"—Star Wars Insider 144
- "Back on Set!"—Star Wars Insider 160
Notes and referencesEdit
- Dennis Muren on Wikipedia