|Detention Block AA-23|
|Points of interest|
|Chronological and political information|
Detention Block AA-23—sometimes referred to as Detention Block AA 23 or Detention block A A-twenty-three—was a brig located within Detention Block AA on the fifth level of the first Death Star. Just prior to the Battle of Yavin, Cell 2187 was used for the interrogation and detainment of Princess Leia Organa. It was located 400 meters (1,300 feet) below Docking Bay 327.
After the Millennium Falcon was captured by the Death Star, Luke Skywalker discovered that the Princess was scheduled to be executed. Skywalker embarked on a mission to save the Princess after enlisting the support of the smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca. Relying on their recently-procured stormtrooper armor to disguise their identities, Skywalker and Solo "escorted" Chewbacca to detention block AA-23.
The ruse seemed to work until they arrived at the detention block. After the three of them stepped out of the turbolift, they were immediately asked where they were taking Chewbacca by Lieutenant Shann Childsen. Skywalker told Childsen that he and Han were transferring Chewbacca from Cell Block 1138 to Detention Block AA-23. As Childsen contacted his superiors, Skywalker and Solo pretended that Chewbacca was breaking free of his handcuffs and handed him a blaster rifle.
The resulting firefight claimed the lives of Lieutenant Childsen, Sergeant Major Enfield, Corporal Prescott, Corporal Grenwick and Devin Cant, as well as the destruction of the detention block's surveillance equipment. Before he died however, Childsen activated an alarm switch, alerting the Death Star's security staff to the fact that there was an emergency situation in Detention Block AA-23. All areas aboard the Death Star were alerted.
After Skywalker freed the Princess, they discovered that there was only one way out of the detention block, and stormtroopers were coming from that direction. After procuring a blaster rifle from one of her "rescuers," she blasted a hole through a grate into a garbage chute leading to Garbage Compactor 3263827. Chewbacca, Skywalker, and Solo reluctantly followed.
Behind the scenesEdit
Detention Block AA-23 appeared in the first Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. AA-23 has been referenced several times in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, including shuttle AA-23 in Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance.
- Star Wars Journal: The Fight for Justice
- Death Star
- Star Wars Journal: Captive to Evil
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars Droids 7: Star Wars According to the Droids, Book II
- Star Wars 3: Death Star!
- Star Wars 4: In Battle with Darth Vader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Journal: Hero for Hire (Indirect mention only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure: A New Hope
- Club Penguin Star Wars Takeover
- Star Wars Blueprints
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Death Star Detention Block)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Death Star Trooper)
- Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook, Special Edition
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Corporal Grenwick)
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 64 (Death Star - Detention Block)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG - Base Set (Card: )
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("AA-23, Detention Block")
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: Crossfire)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Han Solo (★★★)) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Leia Organa (★★★, Death Star)) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Luke Skywalker (★★★, Death Star)) (Picture only)
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 149