The Detention Level was an area on the Death Star that held numerous detention blocks located on descending sub-levels. Sub-level 0 was the first sub-level, with other sub-levels extending downwards towards the battle station's southern pole. Detention levels were organized around a large, spherical central airway for their sector, from which turbolifts brought in new prisoners and guards.
Detention Levels were not meant to hold prisoners long-term, but rather serve as a stopgap measure until prisoners could be transferred to other Imperial prisons. Prisoners were kept in the dark, and were then dragged to brightly lit interrogation rooms.
Detention Block AA-23 on sub-level five was reserved for political prisoners. Cell 2187 was located on AA-23, and was the location where Princess Leia Organa was imprisoned by Darth Vader for suspected Rebel activities in 0 BBY. After rescuing Organa, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca and the princess herself were trapped in a garbage masher on this level and nearly crushed to death before being saved by the droids C-3PO and R2-D2.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: Heroes Path
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- "Change of Heart"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Bump"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- "End of Watch"—From a Certain Point of View
- "The Baptist"—From a Certain Point of View
- "All Creatures Great and Small"—Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I (Mentioned only)
- ; image #5 (of 16) (as "prison level")