- "Did you hear that? They've shut down the main reactor. We'll be destroyed for sure. This is madness!"
- ―C-3PO, during the Devastator's attack on the Tantive IV
The Devastator was an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer of the Imperial Navy famous for its participation in the capture of the Tantive IV and as Darth Vader's flagship for a time. It later participated in the Imperial victory at Hoth and was destroyed during the decisive battle fought at Endor.
The Devastator was 1,600 meters long, the standard length for an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer. As such, it was initially armed with turbolaser batteries, ion cannons, and several tractor beam projectors. Several dozens of times in its service life, the Devastator was structurally altered from its original design to include the latest weapons and systems, which kept it more than comptetitive with the battleships that were commissioned later.
Fourteen years after the establishment of the Galactic Empire, the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Devastator was the flagship of Lord Tion. Five years later, however, it now belonged to the Sith Lord Darth Vader, who used it in his struggle against the Rebel Alliance. On that ship, Vader pursued the Tantive IV, a CR90 corvette that contained the stolen plans of the Death Star battle station, and chased it to Tatooine. Once there, the Star Destroyer successfully captured the Tantive IV, and Imperial troops boarded the enemy ship. The Devastator also targeted and destroyed any escape pod that were launched in order to ensure none of the Rebels escaped. The sole exception was R2-D2 and C-3PO's pod—which even then was only because they did not detect any life signs in the pod, and dismissed it as a malfunction.
When the Super Star Destroyer Executor completed construction, Vader transferred his flag, and Jhared Montferrat took command of the Devastator. However, the legendary vessel remained a part of Death Squadron, Vader's personal flotilla. Under Montferrat's command, the Devastator notably participated at the Battle of Hoth, which resulted in a clear Imperial victory.
The Devastator, the pride of the Death Squadron, met its fate at Endor, during a battle which the Emperor had meant to be the end of the Rebellion. The ship, still commanded by Montferrat, faced Blade Squadron, a group of Rebel B-wing pilots. Ultimately, the ship was destroyed when two of those pilots, Gina Moonsong and Braylen Stramm, caused a chain reaction of explosions that led to the systematic demolition of the Star Destroyer.
Commanders and crewEdit
Prior to the destruction of Alderaan, the Devastator was the property of Darth Vader himself. As of the Battle of Hoth, it was commanded by Jhared Monteferrat, who held the title of admiral when the ship was destroyed during the fight over Endor. The senior ISB officer onboard was Captain Ronnadam .
- Lost Stars
- The Rebellion Begins (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Escape from Darth Vader
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 7: Shadows and Secrets, Part I (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- (as "Darth Vader's Star Destroyer")
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- (as "Darth Vader's Star Destroyer")
- ; image #5
- ; images #4, 5 (of 15)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3
- ↑ screenshot)—The tweet in question refers to the number of in-universe years between the canon films and television shows. Using simple math, it can be deduced when Return of the Jedi takes place on the timeline. . “0 10 10-13 13 27 32 35 36” (
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Lost Stars
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 The Rebellion Begins
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back