The dianoga was a non-sentient cephalopod indigenous to the swampy planet of Vodran. Those carnivorous creatures also inhabited the flooded garbage compactors of the Death Star. Dianogas possessed seven suckered tentacles, and a single eyestalk protruding from the center of their bodies.
During the rescue of Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker first realized something was alive in the garbage compactor, but shortly after his realization, a dianoga dragged Skywalker underwater. Han Solo and Organa were unable to locate him, but the creature released him just before the walls began to close.
- "A Recipe for Death"
- Bounty Hunt
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- "The Baptist"—From a Certain Point of View
- Star Wars 21: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part I
- "All Creatures Great and Small" (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance