The dianoga was a carnivorous tentacled species of squid that inhabited the flooded garbage compactors of the Death Star. During the rescue of Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker first realized something was alive in the garbage chute, but shortly after his realization, Luke was dragged down and covered below the garbage. Han Solo and Leia Organa attempted to save him. It attacked Luke Skywalker but released him and escaped when it realized the walls were beginning to close.
Among experienced chefs, grilled dianoga could be made into a tasty breakfast dish, but one had to be careful to not overcook it, otherwise it would activate the blood parasites in the fatty tissue, destroying the flavor.
- "A Recipe for Death"
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy: A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- "All Creatures Great and Small" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as Dianoga)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know