The Diatium power cell was the primary power source for a lightsaber and one of the critical components of a lightsaber hilt. Located directly below and wired into the primary crystal mount, to which was affixed the weapon's primary focusing crystal, these types of power cells were in turn wrapped within the power field conductor, power vortex ring and an inert power insulator. The lightsaber's pommel cap and its recharging port were attached directly to the diatum cell.
Diatium power cells contained extremely concentrated amounts of trumponium gas that would form a plasma rod when heated. The beam of plasma produced from a lightsaber was contained by a type of magnetic or energy field that recycled the energy back into the diatium power cell when not in contact with other lightsabers or objects. This greatly conserved the energy of a diatium power cell, although it still needed occasional replacements.
Due to the power cell's natural recharging abilities (a recharge socket was usually not required), it was ideal for a melee weapon such as a lightsaber. If assembled correctly, a power cell could last indefinitely and require no further maintenance from the operator.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (First appearance)
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- Clone Wars Gambit: Siege
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary (First appearance)
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide (as Diatium energy cell)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force