- "[The Galactic Senate of the Republic] will be made to [resolve its differences]."
"That sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me."
"Well, if it works…"
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala
In 22 BBY, while Senator Padmé Amidala and then-Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker are staying on Naboo temporarily to avoid a potential assassination attempt on the former, they briefly discuss the corruption that has befallen the Republic and wondering how to alleviate it. Skywalker responds that they probably would need to be made to resolve their differences by "someone wise", causing Padmé to guess that what Skywalker was proposing sounded similar to a dictatorship, with Skywalker not denying it and saying it may work.
Under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, the parliamentary Galactic Republic slowly turned into a dictatorship as the Chancellor used the Clone Wars as a pretext to amend the constitution and accrue more executive power. At the end of the conflict, the Republic was finally replaced by a genuine dictatorship, the First Galactic Empire. Other known dictatorial regimes included Hay-Zu's leadership over his fellow Patitites, and the rule of the so-called Albee Dewaw—actually a cabal of DUM-series pit droids—over the Balnab.
Although its motives were to restore democracy within the galaxy, the overall function for the Rebel Alliance in terms of hierarchy was technically closer to a dictatorship due to Mon Mothma, who acted as the Chancellor to the Rebel Alliance, wielding absolute power over the group without either hereditary right or free consent of people through elections.
- Obi-Wan & Anakin, Part IV (Mentioned only; in flashback)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Dictatorship)
Notes and referencesEdit
- Dictatorship on Wikipedia