Diet referred to the sum of nutrition consumed by an organism. Dietary classifications included carnivore, herbivore, omnivore, silicavore and ergovore.
Forms of dietEdit
Herbivores were animals that fed on plants, but not other animals. Since they were the first in the food chain not to produce their own means of subsistence, they were referred to as primary consumers. Examples of herbivores included the o'cerry.
Carnivores were animals that subsisted on animal tissues. In the food chain, they were referred to as secondary consumers. Examples of carnivores included the Bogwing of Dagobah, the Dianoga, the Togruta, and the Rancor.
Omnivores were species that subsisted on both animal tissue and plant-based foods. The tauntauns of Hoth were omnivorous, primarily eating fungi and lichens, though they also ate smaller animals when necessary.
Ergovore referred to species that sought out and fed upon pure energy. Business owners sometimes enhanced their security by using these creatures as a way to keep firearms out of their establishments. Salla C'airam lined the entrance tunnel of his high-class cantina with underfed ergovores so that they could detect any hidden power sources or other high-tech weapons.
Energy flow and food relationshipsEdit
The scientific term food chain designated the feeding relationships among a set of plants and animals or the energy flow from a sun to living beings. Through the chain, energy would first travel from the sun to a plant, then from a plants to animals, then from animals to other animals, and then back to the soil through decay. On a related note, a food web was a way of describing the interconnected feeding relationship in a given ecosystem: vertically, it showed who ate whom, and horizontally, it showed who was in competition with whom for food.
- Star Wars Episode I: The Gungan Frontier
- Empire Blues: The Devaronian's Tale (First identified as carnivore)
- Hard Merchandise (First identified as ergovore)
- Star Wars 82: Diplomacy (Ergovore)
- Creatures of the Galaxy (First identified as silicavore)
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 2 (HOT2, Hoth)
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: )
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Acklay)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Reek)
- Creatures of the Galaxy
- Suns of Fortune