A disturbance in the Force, also known as a disruption in the Force or a tremor in the Force, was an anomaly in the currents of the Force, the powerful energy field which bound all beings, that could be sensed by Force-sensitives, such as Jedi. It could be caused by events of a cataclysmic nature, such as a large group of people dying at the same time. One sensing a disturbance in the Force might react in pain and confusion, feeling empathetic mental anguish.
- "What is thy bidding, my master?"
"There is a great disturbance in the Force."
"I have felt it."
"We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."
- ―Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine discuss Luke Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker's suffering due to his mother being killed by Tusken Raiders and subsequent slaughter of an entire Tusken village on Tatooine created a disturbance in the Force so powerful that Yoda felt it from halfway across the galaxy on Coruscant.
The resurgence of Darth Maul on Lotho Minor, as willed by his brother Savage Opress and Mother Talzin, caused a disturbance in the Force powerful enough to be sensed by Anakin Skywalker on Stobar, Asajj Ventress on Tatooine, and Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi on Coruscant.
Upon Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's execution of Order 66, the great Jedi Grand Master Yoda sensed a powerful disturbance in the Force as Jedi throughout the galaxy were killed by clone troopers that they had commanded. His skill allowed him to escape the same fate and flee from the planet Kashyyyk with the aid of friendly Wookiees. 
Palpatine, in his new role as Galactic Emperor and speaking via hologram with Anakin Skywalker, now Darth Vader, as the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, described Luke Skywalker's potential emergence as a Jedi as a "great disturbance in the Force."
The First Order's use of Starkiller Base to obliterate the Hosnian system resulted in a massive disturbance in the Force that was felt by Leia Organa at the Resistance base on D'Qar. Organa also buckled at a shudder in the Force upon the murder of her husband, Han Solo, at the hands of their son, Kylo Ren.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Dark Disciple (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Tarkin (First identified as Disruption in the Force)
- Lords of the Sith
- Star Wars Rebels – "Path of the Jedi" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Epic Yarns: A New Hope (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens novelization