- "Ah, yeah!"
- ―Dobbu Scay finds what he thinks is a lugjack machine
Dobbu Scay was a diminutive amphibian gambler who was present in the Canto Casino on the planet Cantonica around 34 ABY. While inebriated at the casino, he mistook the Resistance astromech droid BB-8 for a lugjack machine and began inserting cantocoins into various slots on the droid. BB-8 encouraged Scay to insert more coins until the droid dashed off to rejoin his companions, Finn and Rose Tico. When a herd of fathier later stampeded through the casino, Scay laughed gleefully as coins cascaded onto the floor around him in the chaos.
Drunk at the casinoEdit
- "A drunk alien in a tuxedo thought you were a slot machine? Fair enough."
- ―DJ learns about BB-8's encounter with Dobbu Scay
Shortly after the outbreak of the war between the First Order and the Resistance circa 34 ABY, Dobbu Scay was on the planet Cantonica in the city of Canto Bight. While gambling in the Canto Casino, he became inebriated and approached the Resistance astromech droid BB-8 on the casino's floor.
Mistaking the droid for a lugjack machine, Scay inserted one of his stack of cantocoins into a diagnostic slot in BB-8's tool bay. This caused the droid to squawk in shock, but when nothing else happened, Scay squinted and leaned against the droid to belch angrily before inserting another coin. BB-8 remained stock still and began beeping encouragingly for Scay to insert more coins. When the gambler did so, the droid warbled happily and flashed the diagnostic light on his head in order to imitate a slot machine before making a sad, droopy coo. Scay then inserted a coin into the droid's dataport.
Riches from chaosEdit
- "Eh, he, he, he, he!"
- ―Dobbu Scay laughs as cantocoins cascade down around him
BB-8 eventually left to find his companions, Finn and Rose Tico, after spotting the Master Codebreaker, for whom they were searching. The droid later used Scay's coins as projectiles in order to subdue a member of the Canto Bight Police Department during the group's escape from Cantonica with the criminal DJ.
Scay remained in the casino and was still present when Finn and Tico rode through the building on a herd of fathiers that they had freed. During the ensuing chaos, a large amount of cantocoins cascaded from one of the casino's tables onto Scay and the floor around him, causing him to laugh with glee and begin gathering them up.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Hmm, mmm. Narlev!"
- ―Dobbu Scay becomes frustrated with BB-8 and belches
Dobbu Scay was a member of a diminutive, gray-skinned, bipedal species of amphibian with a flat crest extending from the back of the head. He had a studded tail that was long enough to reach the ground when he stood. His hair ran down either side of his face and was brown in color, as were his two eyes.
Scay was inebriated enough at the casino to mistake a BB-series astromech droid for a slot machine and became frustrated when he did not win any coins from BB-8. However, he was greatly pleased when he later found himself surrounded by coins while chaos reigned in the casino around him.
Behind the scenesEdit
Dobbu Scay was a computer-generated character created for the 2017 sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, in which he was voiced by Mark Hamill, whose main role in the film was that of Luke Skywalker. The character's name was only revealed in the film's credits and is an anagram of Bob Ducsay, who worked as the film editor on The Last Jedi.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi storybook
- The Last Jedi: Rose and Finn's Secret Mission
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3 (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens to 34 ABY. As Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi takes place immediately after the events of The Force Awakens, it must also take place in approximately 34 ABY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition