Biology and appearanceEdit
Dragonsnakes were well armored with razor fins, and had rows of sharp fangs in their mouths. They used their wide tails to propel them through their watery habitat; their long arms were mostly used for digging or grasping. In mass, they could be up to 50,000 kilograms. The dragonsnake was a patient predator, usually lying in wait under the water until its prey wandered too close to the water's edge. Lashing out with fins and fangs, the dragonsnake would drag its victim underwater, coiled in its body, until it drowned.
Only a few fellow Dagobah creatures posed a threat to dragonsnakes as their scales were durable enough to withstand most melee and vibroweapons and even small arms fire. Dragonsnakes were known to fight the monstrous swamp slugs of Dagobah. Even if devoured by the giant beasts, dragonsnakes could gnaw through the swamp slug's stomach and burst out of its belly. Dragonsnakes rarely mated more often than once every ten standard years, with females laying one to six eggs. These were buried and abandoned, usually resulting in consumption by predators. Hatchlings achieved full size within months and were adults.
A breed of dragonsnake that resided on Nal Hutta differed greatly in its physiology, notably lacking arms and long external ears. Their body was covered in bioluminescent nodules, giving them a similar appearance to the Colo claw fish of Naboo.
During the Clone Wars, while Obi-Wan Kenobi and Quinlan Vos searched for Ziro Desilijic Tiure on Nal Hutta, an individual of the planet's variety of dragonsnake attacked Obi-Wan. It was killed when Obi-Wan impaled its head with his lightsaber.
The dragonsnakes living in the Dragonsnake Bog near Yoda's hut were oppressed by the King of the Dragonsnakes, a large specimen that dominated the swamp, and suffered due to his greed. When Luke Skywalker arrived on Dagobah in 3 ABY, the King of the Dragonsnakes swallowed his astromech droid R2-D2, but then spit the droid back out due to its being indigestible. After that, he waited for the opportunity to strike at Skywalker himself. When the opportunity presented itself several days later, the King of the Dragonsnakes found out that his prey was armed with a lightsaber, managing to harm the King and escape. The other Dragonsnakes saw the King's failure as the sign of his weakness. Humbled, the King retreated to his Lair. Skywalker, accompanied by Yoda, followed him there and confronted the King in his very own lair. Using the knowledge of the Force, he subdued the King to his will and retrieved his prize—an egg of an Accipiptero. Afterwards, the other Dragonsnakes were no longer afraid of the King and the swamp returned to the balance.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt" (Head only)
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars: Empire 20: A Little Piece of Home, Part 1
- Galaxy of Fear: The Hunger
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back junior novel
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes
- Star Wars: Demolition
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Dagobah Limited (Card: Dragonsnake)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Alien Anthology
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Ultimate Adversaries
- A Mon Alone (Mentioned only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 4 (DAG4, Dagobah)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 91 (DAG9-10, Dagobah Swamp Creatures)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- Threats of the Galaxy
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Making of The Empire Strikes Back