|Platoon Attack Craft|
Trade Federation troop carrier
The troop carrier was a repulsorlift troop transport and was twenty-six meters long. It was manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop, which was also responsible for manufacturing the Armored Assault Tanks and Multi-Troop Transports of the Trade Federation Droid Army.
An unarmed variant of the Multi-Troop Transport, the troop carrier boasted no weaponry or heavy armor and had to rely on AATs and battle droids for protection. It was deployed behind the protection of ground armor in secure conditions, or within occupied territory. The troop carrier was also equipped with a forward flood light for use at night. Although the MTT offered greater protection, the troop carrier was faster and more agile, and many were still retained in the Trade Federation forces.
The troop carrier was piloted by two battle droid pilots. The vehicle's drive unit was adapted from a civilian cargo sled, though it featured a large troop deployment rack behind it. Similar to the deployment racks used in MTTs, the troop carrier's single rack could hold 112 battle droids, folded into their space saving configurations.
HistoryEditUp to 28 troop carriers could be fitted onto one C-9979 landing ship.
During the events of the Invasion of Naboo, the troop carriers were brought to Naboo along with MTTs and AATs in C-9979 landing craft. The troop carriers were part of the Trade Federation invasion force that occupied the capital city Theed.
During the Clone Wars, troop carriers were pledged by the Trade Federation to the droid army of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. On Geonosis, they transported battle droid platoons from the planet's underground droid factories for deployment in the Separatist forces. Troop carriers brought battle droids into the Petranaki Arena when Mace Windu's Jedi strike team arrived to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Senator Padmé Amidala.
Troop carriers were later used in the Battle of Kashyyyk. After the Clone Wars ended, the few troop carriers that survived the conflict were converted into civilian cargo sleds.
Behind the scenesEdit
These vehicles have sometimes been referred to by fans as "Platoon Attack Craft". This name comes from the revised rough draft of The Phantom Menace and is mentioned in The Official Star Wars Fact File.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 22"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Episode I: Incredible Cross-Sections
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 16 (MTT1, Trade Federation Multi-Troop Transport) (First identified as Platoon Attack Craft)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Set: 7654 Droids Battle Pack)
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Episode I
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels (First identified as "MTT Troop Carrier")
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
Notes and referencesEdit