- "They're no match for droidekas."
- ―Rune Haako, regarding a pair of Jedi Knights
Droidekas, also known as Destroyers, were a type of droid used by the Trade Federation during the Invasion of Naboo and, later, by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. Droidekas were dangerous and deadly, designed to exterminate their adversaries with extreme prejudice. They could transform their shape by curling into a ball and moving up to 75 kilometers per hour across a surface, or stand on three legs and utilize a shield generator while firing at a target. Before the Invasion of Naboo, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn had to face Droidekas on a Droid Control Ship.
Droidekas came equipped with numerous armaments, both defensive and offensive. In particular, Destroyers made use of twin blasters and personal deflector shield generators. A Destroyer's shields were so strong and powerful that they could easily repel or deflect short-range, high-velocity attacks; rendering sidearms or blasters ineffective. Short of an ion cannon, no form of ranged weapon had the power to penetrate or pierce a Destroyer's shield. Although Destroyers were powerful, they were not without their flaws, in particular rollies had two major weaknesses, which could be exploited in order to get a kill. Destroyers were blind from behind and their shields were ineffective against slow and stationary objects. Rear assaults, coupled with a distraction and well thrown droid poppers, were an extremely effective combination.
Following the Clone War, the Droideka Oppressor and Droideka Sentinel models were used by smugglers, and were also used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic and Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War.
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ; image #10 (of 29)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Vader 2: Vader, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars: Darth Vader 3: Vader, Part III
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"