- "Destroyers are quick, pack twin blasters, and come with their own shield generators. Nothing short of a cannon will pierce it, but they do have two weaknesses, and you will need to work together to exploit them. The shield deflect high velocity attacks. What the shield don't stop are slow or stationary objects. They're designed to absorb them so nothing hinders their movement."
"Destroyers are blind from behind. A distraction combined with a rear assault will give you a kill. The trick is to get the right speed on the droid popper."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano, on how to take out a Droideka
Droidekas, also known as destroyer droids, or as rollies in clone trooper slang, were a type of droid used by the Trade Federation during the Invasion of Naboo and, later, by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. Manufactured by the Colicoids on Colla IV, droidekas were dangerous and deadly, designed to exterminate their adversaries with extreme prejudice. They could transform their shape by curling into a ball and moving up to 75 kilometers per hour across a surface, or stand on three legs and utilize a shield generator while firing at a target. Before the Invasion of Naboo, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn had to face droidekas on a Droid Control Ship.
Droidekas came equipped with numerous armaments, both defensive and offensive. In particular, they made use of twin blasters and personal deflector shield generators. A droideka's shields were so strong and powerful that they could easily repel or deflect short-range, high-velocity attacks; rendering sidearms or blasters ineffective. Most hand held weapons did not have enough power to pierce it. Although powerful, they featured several flaws that could be exploited to guarantee a kill; droidekas were blind from behind and their shields were ineffective against slow and stationary objects. Rear assaults, coupled with a distraction and a well thrown Electro Magnetic Pulse grenade, were an extremely effective combination.
Following the Clone Wars, a droideka known as "The Unwinder," was champion in a gladiatorial arena, and another droideka joined a group of rescued droids dedicated to helping their fellow droids. During the Galactic Civil War, the Droideka Oppressor and Droideka Sentinel variants were used by smugglers, and were also used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic and Galactic Empire. At least one droideka was used as a security droid by Quarantine World III, and chased after Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra when she attempted to steal the Triple-Zero protocol personality matrix.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- The Art of Star Wars: Uprising
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: What is a Droid?
- ; image #10 (of 29)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ Darth Maul, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"
- ↑ Darth Vader 2: Vader, Part II
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Darth Vader 3: Vader, Part III
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- ↑ "Always Bet on Chop"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine
- ↑ "Escaping the Scrap Pile"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 19