- "Dual-phase blades seem to be something of a fad among Jedi at certain points."
- ―Luke Skywalker
Dual-phase lightsaber was a special variant of lightsaber that used a combination of focusing crystals to create a blade that could extend up to double the original length with a simple activation. Unlike typical lightsabers, which often possessed a manual adjuster for reducing the blade emission, the dual-phased blade could be triggered in an instant, adding an element of surprise to catch an opponent off guard. Additionally, dual-phase lightsabers also had a blade-width adjust. Gantoris wielded such a lightsaber, as did Corran Horn. Dual phase lightsabers could also have the ability to carry different crystals, and alternate between them at the user's discretion.
Records from circa 400 BBY indicate that Keiran Halcyon constructed a special dual phase lightsaber that could go from the standard 1.3 meters to a length of three meters with flick of a switch. Most dual phase lightsabers date from the Jedi Civil War, when lightsaber duels were common and the Sith were at the height of their power. As more beings became aware of the Jedi fighting skills and the Jedi themselves strove to end disputes without drawing their weapons, duels grew less frequent and dual-phase lightsabers went out of style. This style of lightsaber was so antiquated that by the time of the Yuuzhan Vong War they were considered a sign of old and outdated Jedi, which Ganner Rhysode frequently pointed out to Corran Horn during their Mission to Bimmiel. In The Jedi Path, Grand Master Skarch Vaunk wrote that the weapon was only good for surprise attacks, and while that was not technically true the opinion pointed out that it was very rare for its time in the Rise of the Empire era.
- Dark Apprentice (First identified as Dual-phase lightsaber)
- I, Jedi
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
- Legacy of the Force: Fury
- Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Threat of the Conqueror (Card: Dual-Phase Lightsaber)
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force