- "What's a duck?"
- ―Luke Skywalker
Ducks were a type of waterfowl that could be found on several different planets throughout the galaxy, notably Naboo. As a result, they were incorporated in several idiomatic expressions in Galactic Basic Standard, including "sitting duck" and "even a duck has to be taught to swim." The ship known as the Dusty Duck was presumably also named for these animals.
Not all residents of the galaxy were familiar with ducks, especially in some of the provincial regions or on dry, arid planets of the galaxy, like Tatooine. After hearing Obi-Wan Kenobi mention a duck, Luke Skywalker curiously asked what one was.
Naboo was also home to similar waterfowl with four legs, rather than two.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Republic 62: No Man's Land (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novel (First mentioned)
- Star Wars 17: Crucible (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Annual 1: The Long Hunt (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 52: To Take The Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- "Starfighters Down"—Challenge 38 (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars 83: Sweetheart Contract (Mentioned only)
- Flashpoint! Brak Sector
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Duck")
Notes and references
- Duck on Wikipedia