When the Padawan Juhani fell to the dark side, mistakenly believing that she had slain her Jedi Master, Quatra, in anger, she fled to the grove. Her dark influence had an effect on the local kath hounds, making them more aggressive than was otherwise normal. Revan, who had had his memory wiped and was engaging in his retraining, was told to cleanse the grove as the final test to be admitted into the Jedi Order as a Padawan.
- Juhani: "I seem to still have much to learn... Both about being a Jedi, and about myself. But I wish the cost of my ignorance had not been so high. I wish that my Master had not suffered because of me."
- Revan: "It is not your fault, Juhani."
- Juhani: "I only wish things could have been different... If she were alive now there would be so much I would say to her... So much I would apoligize for. OH, how can the Council ever take me back with what I have done? Striking my Master down in anger is unforgivable!"
- Revan: "Do not worry, Juhani. They will surely take you back."
- Juhani: "I should convince them that I am truly repentant, that I am willing to forsake the dark side. Maybe, just maybe, they would accept me back. Do you think they would? Could it be possible after what I have done?"
- Revan: "Of course it would. They would always accept you back."
- Juhani: "I... I thank you, master Jedi. I will return to the Council, then I shall submit myself to their judgement, and hope that they will forgive me. Again, I thank you. I am sure I will hear great things about you in the future."
- ―Revan redeems Juhani.[src]
Revan walked up to Juhani with with two companions to confront the fallen Jedi. Juhani used her force powers to paralyze his companions, attacked Revan. After a short intense lightsaber duel, Revan spared her life, convinced the Cathar to return to the light side, and persuaded her ask the Jedi Council for mercy. Having bested her Master, she did not believe Revan could match her power, but then she realized what Quatra had tried to teach her: Humility. She tried to teach her that even one who is true to the teachings of the Jedi may just as easily fall to the dark side by their inability to understand or accept their own limitations.
- "You have done a great thing. One of our own had strayed, but you have returned Juhani to the Order. For this you deserve the highest praise."
- ―Belaya commenting on Juhani's redemption at the hands of Revan.
Juhani returned to the Jedi Enclave and met with the Jedi Council. She was accepted back into the order and Revan was praised for what he had accomplished. Juhani went to to accompany Revan to find the remaining Star Maps and to save the galaxy.
Behind the scenes
Dark side players have the opportunity to kill Juhani. When encountering her in the grove, they can choose to end her life instead of redeeming her, thus losing a potential party member.
- "I am Belaya, once of the Jedi but now of the Sith… it was your murder of Juhani that placed this bitter blackness in my heart!"
If the player decides to kill Juhani, Belaya discoveres that Juhani was slain by the aspiring new Padawan Revan, she becomes aggrieved and enraged. She lashes out at Revan upon his return, saying that Juhani had deserved a better chance from him, and from the Council who had sent him so ill-prepared. Regardless of Revan's intentions she could not be consoled, and she left the Jedi Order, ending up on Korriban and joining the Sith Academy there. On Revan's quest to find the Star Map there, Belaya once again confronted him on Korriban, this time outside the Sith Academy where nobody would stop her. She angrily questioned his presence there, then swearing vengeance for Juhani, she attacked Revan but was killed by the former Sith Lord.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (First appearance)
- Knights of the Old Republic: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
Notes and references