- "The Force is with you, young Skywalker… but you are not a Jedi yet."
- ―Darth Vader to Luke Skywalker
After failing to capture Luke Skywalker during the Battle of Hoth, Darth Vader—Skywalker's father—set a trap for Skywalker on the Cloud City of Bespin. He captured Han Solo and Leia Organa to torture them, hoping to lure Skywalker out of hiding. Skywalker saw a vision of his friends' suffering while on Dagobah, where he trained with Jedi Master Yoda, and rushed to Cloud City to help them.
When he arrived, Skywalker briefly encountered Imperial troops and Boba Fett, who was taking a carbon-frozen Solo to his ship. Skywalker avoided the enemy forces and made his way to the carbon-freezing chamber and found Vader waiting for him, and the two engaged in a lightsaber duel throughout the chamber. They moved into the lower levels, where Vader consistently held the upper hand before finally cutting off Skywalker's right hand, causing Luke to lose the lightsaber that once belonged to Vader, leaving the Jedi apprentice defenseless and at the mercy of the Dark Lord of the Sith. It was then that Vader revealed the truth: he was Skywalker's father.
Rather than allow himself to be captured, Skywalker threw himself off the platform where they had fought, before landing and hanging helplessly at the bottom of the city. Skywalker was rescued by Organa, Chewbacca, and Lando Calrissian in the Millennium Falcon before returning to the Rebel fleet, where they began plotting a mission to rescue Solo from Jabba the Hutt on Tatooine.
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Use the Force! (Appears in final page preview illustration)
- Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back (Non-canonical appearance)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (Vision to Rey) (Sounds only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel (Vision to Rey)
Notes and referencesEdit