- "You will, therefore, be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all powerful Sarlacc."
- ―C-3PO, translating Jabba the Hutt
The Dune Sea was a vast stretch of desert on the Outer Rim planet of Tatooine. The Great Pit of Carkoon, which contained a creature known as the sarlacc, was located in the Dune Sea. The Western Dune Sea was the location where the Mos Espa Grand Arena was located. The palace of Jabba the Hutt and the home of Obi-Wan Kenobi were located beyond the Dune Sea.
According to Jawa folklore, the Dune Sea was once a genuine ocean. Although many colonists found it hard to believe that water had once flowed abundantly on Tatooine, ancient fossil-bearing rocks and eroded canyons seemed to back up the Jawas' tales.
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles