- "You will, therefore, be taken to the Dune Sea and cast into the Pit of Carkoon, the nesting place of the all powerful Sarlacc."
- ―C-3PO, translating Jabba the Hutt
The Dune Sea was a vast stretch of desert on the Outer Rim planet of Tatooine. The Great Pit of Carkoon, which contained a creature known as the sarlacc, was located in the Dune Sea. The Western Dune Sea was the location where the Mos Espa Grand Arena was located. The palace of Jabba the Hutt and the home of Obi-Wan Kenobi were located beyond the Dune Sea.
According to Jawa folklore, the Dune Sea was once a genuine ocean. Although many colonists found it hard to believe that water had once flowed abundantly on Tatooine, ancient fossil-bearing rocks and eroded canyons seemed to back up the Jawas' tales.
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars 7: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: "The Last of His Breed"
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars 3: Skywalker Strikes, Part III
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 1: Vader
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV
- Star Wars 5: Skywalker Strikes, Part V
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi (Non-canonical appearance)