- "He used to like pairing him up with Duurga for arm-wrestling. But after Chewbaacca pulled one of Duurga’s arms out of its socket, he stopped those bouts. He hasn’t let Chewbaacca anywhere near Duuurga since."
- ―Luuke Skywalker on Thrawn's arranging of arm-wrestling between Duurga and Chewbaaca.
Duurga was the clone of the Hutt Crime lord Durga Besadii Tai created by Grand Admiral Thrawn. Duurga was created from samples collected by Luuke Skywalker, a clone of the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker who had been killed in 9 ABY and replaced with the clone. Duurga's template was not replaced before his death aboard the Darksaber superweapon in 12 ABY. Skywalker could not understand why Thrawn kept Duurga around, but speculated that it was so the Hutt could keep the frog population down in the marsh behind his palace. After Thrawn cloned the Wookiee Chewbacca following the latter's death in the year 25 ABY, Thrawn enjoyed pairing Duurga with the clone, Chewbaacca, for arm-wrestling matches. Eventually, Chewbaaca pulled one of Duurga's arms out of its socket during one of these matches. Duuurga, another clone of Durga created by Thrawn, was not allowed near Chewbaacca after that. Like the original Durga, Duurga was 3.7 meters tall, had no hair, and had orange eyes. As a Hutt, Duurga was a hermaphrodite.
Behind the scenesEdit
Duurga was mentioned in "An Apology," a non-canon short story written by Timothy Zahn that was released on April 1, 2012 as an April Fools' Day joke. While the original Durga chose to have a masculine personality during his life, the short story did not specify if Duurga had done the same. In the context of "An Apology," actions taken by characters after they were cloned were performed by clone imposters. Durga was not replaced before his death, and he could not play a role in another Star Wars story afterward; therefore, his clones did not.
- "An Apology" (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The New Essential Chronology places the events of The Last Command, in which Luuke was created, in 9 ABY.
- ↑ "An Apology" says that Duurga arm-wrestled with Chewbaacca, who was created soon after the death of his template in The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime during 25 ABY, meaning Duurga would have had to have been created during or before 25 ABY at the latest.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 The New Essential Guide to Characters gives these traits to Durga, meaning that Duurga would have them as well.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 "An Apology"
- ↑ Within the context of "An Apology," all events that took place between the novels The Last Command (9 ABY) and Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse (44 ABY) occurred exactly the same way as the parallel ones in the canonical universe. However, the major players like Luke Skywalker or the bounty hunter Boba Fett were being impersonated by clones during them. Durga was killed in 12 ABY, during the events of Darksaber, yet the first clone that Thrawn made of him, indicated by Duurga having one extra vowel in his name, was still alive in 25 ABY.
- ↑ The Essential Reader's Companion places the events of Darksaber as during 12 ABY
- ↑ Chewbaacca was created during 25 ABY, meaning it would have been at some point after his birth that Duurga's arm was pulled out.