A compact, one-handed weapon manufactured by BlasTech Industries, the EC-17 featured a built-in targeting scope to assist its user's aim, and a short-range laser emitter. The pressure-sensitive grip located on the weapon's left side made it easier to fire while wearing gloves. The blaster was designed for short-range targets, and therefore lost accuracy over greater distances.
The EC-17 became the standard-issue sidearm of scout troopers of the Galactic Empire, and was commonly holstered in a trooper's boot. The pressure-sensitive grip instead of a trigger accounted for the user's gloves. The weapon was also used by soldiers of the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War, and was wielded by scout troopers on Endor during the Battle of Endor.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Hera's Heroes"
- Star Wars Battlefront (First identified as scout pistol)
- Doctor Aphra 3: Book I, Part III
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as EC-17)
- Star Wars Battlefront Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as EC-17 hold-out blaster)