- "If I need welding, I see a manumitted power droid named AMPS. AMPS doesn't eat rations, of course, but he'll weld in exchange for a recharge, spare gas canisters, metals he finds interesting, or a good joke. I spend a lot of time driving across the Goazon trying to think of jokes AMPS will decide are worth a trade."
- ―Rey writes about EGL-21 in her survival guide
EGL-21, also know as "AMPS", was a masculine manumitted power droid that lived in Niima Outpost on the desert planet Jakku around thirty years after the Battle of Endor. He welded objects for the scavengers on Jakku in exchange for power, spare gas canisters, interesting metals, or a good joke, as he couldn't eat rations. The droid and his mechanical colleague GTAW-74 could sometimes be spotted in the shade trading jokes that their customers had brought them, and Rey often spent time thinking up jokes to trade with him for his services.
Behind the scenesEdit
EGL-21 first appeared in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which was released in North America on December 18 2015. The character was identified in Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, a reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo and released in conjunction with the film. In this book, EGL-21 is pictured next to welding droid GTAW-74, who is described as offering his skills in exchange for a recharge or a good joke. However, in Jason Fry's book Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide, which was released at the same time, the personality attributed to GTAW is given to EGL-21. This appeared to be an error, as Power Droids are not know for welding. EGL-21's entry in the official Star Wars databank cleared up the confusion by stating that the two droids would often trade jokes that their customers had brought them.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as EGL-21)
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia