- "If I need welding, I see a manumitted power droid named AMPS."
- ―Rey writes about EGL-21 in her survival guide
EGL-21, also know as "AMPS," was a manumitted, masculine power droid that lived in Niima Outpost on the desert planet Jakku. He welded objects for scavengers in exchange for power, spare gas canisters, interesting metals, or a good joke. The droid and his mechanical colleague GTAW-74 could sometimes be spotted in the shade trading jokes that their customers had brought them. The scavenger Rey often spent time thinking up jokes to trade with him for his services. In 34 ABY, he was present in the outpost shortly before it was attacked by the First Order.
- "AMPS doesn't eat rations, of course, but he'll weld in exchange for a recharge, spare gas canisters, metals he finds interesting, or a good joke. I spend a lot of time driving across the Goazon trying to think of jokes AMPS will decide are worth a trade."
- ―Rey mentions thinking of jokes for AMPS in her survival guide
EGL-21 was the designation of a power droid who was also known by the nickname "Amps." By the year 34 ABY, he was manumitted and dwelt on the desert planet Jakku in Niima Outpost, a trading post controlled by the junk dealer Unkar Plutt. There, the droid would offer its services as a welder to scavengers in exchange for a recharge, spare gas canisters, interesting metals or a good joke, as the ration portions that most of the scavengers traded in were useless to him.
The welding droid GTAW-74 was a colleague of EGL-21, and the pair could sometimes be spotted together in the shade trading jokes that their customers had brought to them. The scavenger Rey sometimes traded with EGL-21 and would try and think of jokes he might like while she was traveling across the Goazon Badlands. At some point, she wrote about the power droid in a survival guide she was compiling and included a drawing of him.
In 34 ABY, EGL-21 walked through one of the tents in Niima Outpost and passed by Rey and the astromech droid BB-8 arguing with the former First Order stormtrooper Finn. Not long after this, the First Order attacked Niima Outpost.
Behind the scenesEdit
EGL-21 was created for the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. He was not identified in the film, but was simultaneously named in Rey's Survival Guide, a replica journal written by Jason Fry and released in conjunction with the film and Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary a reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Rey's Survival Guide (First identified as EGL-21 simultaneously with Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as EGL-21 simultaneously with Rey's Survival Guide)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Rey's Survival Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens to 34 ABY. As the final entries in Rey's Survival Guide describe events from the film, earlier entries in the journal, including the mention of EGL-21, must have been written prior to, or during 34 ABY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary