|Physical and technical specifications|
|Usage and history|
The Electro Magnetic Pulse grenade, also known as an EMP grenade, ECD, Electrostatic Charge Detonator, or lesser known as droid popper by the Republic clone troopers, was an anti-droid weapon often used by the Grand Army of the Republic—specifically by the Army's elite soldiers, the clone commandos—during the Clone Wars against battle droid opponents.
Like any grenade, they were activated and thrown into the vicinity of nearby droids in order to immobilize them. They were also called "Droid Poppers" in the Clone Wars. In a similar effect to the EMP launcher, the detonation resulted in a shell of disruptive electrical energy that damaged and disabled electronic systems, however, its effectiveness diminished with the distance from the blast area.
As with the EMP Launcher, it was not quite as effective against organics, but was still capable of electrocuting (or stunning) lifeforms caught in the blast. Detonations also temporarily disrupted the sensors and visual displays of a clone trooper's helmet systems for a few seconds, somewhat similar to the effects of the reverse-polarity pulse grenade. Since the clone commandos had a more electronic helmet, the effect on them would last closer to an hour than just a few seconds.
EMP Grenades, when rolled at just the right speed, could bypass the shield of a Droideka, making them effective where blasters were not.
- Ion grenade - a weapon of the same usage
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact
- Path of the Jedi
- Republic Commando: Triple Zero
- Republic Commando: True Colors
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids"
- The Clone Wars: Headgames (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- The Courtship of Princess Leia (First appearance)
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Electromagnetic pulse on Wikipedia