An emergency beacon or distress beacon was a type of homing beacon that was designed for use in emergency situations to summon or locate aid. Alliance operatives used them when they were in trouble, signaling other members of the Alliance during times of distress. Sometime before the Battle of Endor, when Princess Leia Organa was preparing for a diplomatic mission to the planet of Yinchorr, Luke Skywalker forced Leia Organa to take an emergency beacon with her. The gesture proved to be life-saving, as Organa was attacked and captured by Imperials led by Governor Marcellin Wessel. Due to the emergency beacon, Organa was able to be rescued with the Millennium Falcon.
- Lost Tribe of the Sith: Precipice
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt"
- Star Wars: Droids—"Coby and the Starhunters"
- When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale
- A Boy and His Monster: The Rancor Keeper's Tale
- Star Wars Missions 4: Destroy the Liquidator
- Star Wars 38: Riders in the Void (First appearance)
- Star Wars 50: The Crimson Forever
- Star Wars 86: The Alderaan Factor
- Dark Force Rising
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King
- Dark Nest III: The Swarm War (as Rescue beacon) (Mentioned only)
- Fate of the Jedi: Conviction
- X-Wing: Mercy Kill
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- (as "distress beacon")