The emitter matrix was a crucial component of the lightsaber. A saber's blade was emitted out the handle through the emitter matrix which kept a tight magnetic grip on the beam and allowed it to reliably extend to a predetermined length. A lightsaber would explode shortly after ignition if the emitter matrix was inverted - a tactic used once by Petro, a Jedi initiate, to subdue a group of pirates.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength"
- The Force Unleashed novel
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force