The Emperor's cane was a Sith artifact in the form of a glossy black cane, best known for its use by Galactic Emperor Palpatine during the later years of his reign, in the time of the Galactic Civil War.
At some point, the cane was stolen by a cyberneticist who worked out of an industrial Outer Rim Territories wasteland planet. This scientist, realizing the Mandalorian clan under the leadership of Mandalore Ung Kusp was after him, offered to outfit Jaing and Durge, who were enemies of Kusp's clan, with armor incorporating advanced weaponry and reflex systems if they protected him. Shortly after the operations were complete, a Mandalorian strike team broke into the scientist's building and attacked Jaing, Durge, and the scientist's assistant Nubyl in the form of a defense cyborg. The trio beat back the attackers until one of them threw a thermal detonator. Jaing was fatally wounded, Durge was knocked unconscious, and Nubyl malfunctioned.
The Mandalorians recovered the cane, but before they could leave, Durge awoke and, furious about Jaing's mortal wounding, defeated the Mandalorian raiders. The scientist took back the cane and advised Durge to exterminate the other Mandalorians in retribution, promising that he would revive Jaing. Durge set off to hunt Kusp's clan.
Sometime before 0 BBY, the cane fell into the hands of Galactic Emperor Palpatine. Palpatine used the cane in order to appear to be weak instead of actually needing it. When he inspected the second Death Star in the days preceding the Battle of Endor, Palpatine carried the cane with him, and brought it into his throne room.
Palpatine, six years after his resurrection on Byss, utilized a similar cane when encountering a recently captured Skywalker on Byss.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Star Wars Archives
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Emperor's cane)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Emperor Palpatine) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 22
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Agents of Deception (Card: Order 66) (Picture only)
- The Essential Atlas (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Beware the Sith
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Prototypes
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Extinction"
- ↑ The cane appears in the comic "Extinction", which depicts Darth Vader killing An'ya Kuro. Vader's entry in The New Essential Guide to Characters dates that event to shortly before the Battle of Yavin, therefore in approximately 0 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, p. 229
- ↑ Dark Empire 2: Devastator of Worlds
- ↑ The Star Wars Archives