An empire was a system of government which controlled multiple culturally distinct population groups; often consisting of different planets and/or species. Empires were usually led by an Emperor, who may be elected or hereditary. Usually, they were much larger than a kingdom.
In some cases, the term "empire" also refers to a non-governmental massive organizational body, usually one that is illicit in its actions. This is most commonly associated with criminal empires, such as the one belonging to the infamous Hutt gangster Jabba Desilijic Tiure.
There have been numerous empires in galactic history:
- The Zygerrian Slave Empire was an slave empire that was set up over a thousand years before the Clone Wars
- The Galactic Empire, was reorganise from the Galactic Republic at the end of the Clone Wars
- The Infinite Empire, created by the Rakata sometime before 30,000 BBY. Ended in 25,200 BBY.
- Adas's Sith Empire, established after the Rakata were driven off Korriban.
- The Hutt Empire, from c. 25,200 BBY-25,000 BBY.
- Xim's empire, which lasted from 25,130 BBY to 25,100 BBY.
- The Azure Imperium, a pre-Republic empire centered on Axum.
- The Tapani Empire, extending from 7,328 BBY to 1,582 BBY.
- The Old Sith Empire, led by several Sith, including Marka Ragnos and Naga Sadow.
- Exar Kun's Sith Empire, in conjunction with the Brotherhood of the Sith.
- Darth Revan's Sith Empire, led by first Revan and then Malak in 3956 BBY.
- The resurgent Sith Empire, which existed throughout the Great Galactic War and the Cold War.
- Jabba Desilijic Tiure's criminal empire
- Gardulla the Elder's criminal empire
- The Galactic Empire, led by Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader as the replacement for the Galactic Republic 19 BBY-19 ABY.
- Empire Reborn, between 4 ABY and 14 ABY.
- X1's faction, a group formed in 4 ABY and dissolved sometime later.
- Eriadu Authority, a splinter faction of the Galactic Empire formed in 4 ABY and dissolved in 12 ABY.
- Imperial Core, a splinter faction formed in 4 ABY.
- Zsinj's Empire formed in 4 ABY and fell in 8 ABY.
- Trioculus' Empire, within 5 ABY.
- Thrawn's confederation, also known as the Thrawn Empire, formed in 8 ABY and fell in 9 ABY.
- Dark Empire, between 10 ABY and 11 ABY.
- Pentastar Alignment, a splinter faction formed in 4 ABY and dissolved in 12 ABY.
- Crimson Empire, within 11 ABY.
- The Ssi-ruuvi Imperium, the empire of the Ssi-ruuk, until 28 ABY.
- The Empire of the Hand, established in the Unknown Regions by Grand Admiral Thrawn in 9 ABY, which fell between 25 ABY and 30 ABY.
- The Yuuzhan Vong empire, the government of the Yuuzhan Vong that was run by the Supreme Overlord and the Intendant caste 27 ABY–29 ABY.
- The Esselian Empire of the Darpa sector.
- The Hiromi Empire.
- The Fel Empire, formed some time after 44 ABY and destroyed in 130 ABY.
- Darth Krayt's Galactic Empire 130 ABY to 138 ABY.
- The Vagaari Empire.
- The Second Imperium, formed in 19 ABY and run by an ersatz Palpatine, Brakiss, and four Royal Guards. It was ultimately destroyed by the New Republic in 23 ABY.
- The Corellian Empire
- The Imperial Remnant formed in 12 ABY and reorganized into the Fel Empire sometime after 44 ABY.
- The Restored Empire, a renegade faction of the Imperial Remnant aiming for full reestablishment of the first Galactic Empire, formed in 12 ABY and dissolved in 13 ABY.
It is to be noted that several star systems/star sectors prior to the formation of the Galactic Republic had been Empires, also known as moffs, with the political title of Moff (and to an extent, Grand Moff) originating from the warlords who ran these empires peaceably joining the Galactic Republic.
This is a disambiguation page—a navigational aid that lists other pages that might otherwise share the same title. If an article link referred you here, you might want to go back and fix it to point directly to the intended page.
- Star Wars: Empire, a series of comics about the Galactic Empire.
- Galactic Empire (The Star Wars), the interpretation of the Galactic Empire from the comic serial The Star Wars.
- "Empire", slang term given to Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back.
- Empire on Wikipedia