- "Today is Empire Day, celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of the galaxy's salvation, when our great Emperor Palpatine ended the Clone Wars and founded our glorious Empire."
- ―Imperial Holonet anchorman Alton Kastle
Empire Day was the day that Darth Sidious declared himself Emperor of the First Galactic Empire, bringing an end to the Republic. It was also the day Ezra Bridger was born, and two days before the births of Luke and Leia Skywalker on Polis Massa. From the following year on, Empire Day became a holiday marking the anniversary of the rise of the Empire. Festivities of the holiday included a parade on various Imperial-controlled planets, the playing of the Imperial anthem, "Glory of the Empire", as well as the airing of a portrait of the speech made by Emperor Palpatine that formed the Galactic Empire. The clip was doctored to make the Emperor seem younger and more physically appealing than he actually was at the time of the speech. Attendance to the festivities was mandatory.
Behind the scenesEdit
The term Empire Day was derived from a holiday within the United Kingdom, celebrating the anniversary of the British Empire's formation between 1902 and 1958. Coincidentally, the holiday fell on May 20, which was also the day of the UK's premiere of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back, which resulted in a "revival" of the holiday of sorts.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day" (First identified as Empire Day)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Gathering Forces"
- Ezra's Duel with Danger
- Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Duel of Destiny" (Non-canonical mention)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- (Indirect mention only)
- "Rebels, Animated"—Star Wars Insider 155
- "Note for Note: The Music of Star Wars Rebels"—Star Wars Insider 155
- "Star Wars Rebels Recounted"—Star Wars Insider 155
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know